BASC Guide to Royal Mail services - Firearms & Ammunition

Whilst I welcome BASC's input, and as a member believe it shows that BASC gives far more than just insurance, I am confused!

What with Royal Mail "letter post" and Parcelfore are their policies regarding non-expanding bullets empty cartridge cases. I see that one refers to "ammunition components" for example in its prohibitions.

Reduced to absurdity a block of lead and a few blocks of beeswax....being sent in one package to a bullet caster....could be "ammunition components".

But my real need is to get clarification on unprimed cartridge cases. Be they brass rifle cases or plastic or paper shot gun cases all being the simple case alone UNPRIMED. I see no greater hazard from them than from brass plumber's tap fittings...either with or without their plastic or waxed paper fibre washers.

Whilst I welcome BASC's input, and as a member believe it shows that BASC gives far more than just insurance, I am confused!

What with Royal Mail "letter post" and Parcelfore are their policies regarding non-expanding bullets empty cartridge cases. I see that one refers to "ammunition components" for example in its prohibitions.

Reduced to absurdity a block of lead and a few blocks of beeswax....being sent in one package to a bullet caster....could be "ammunition components".

But my real need is to get clarification on unprimed cartridge cases. Be they brass rifle cases or plastic or paper shot gun cases all being the simple case alone UNPRIMED. I see no greater hazard from them than from brass plumber's tap fittings...either with or without their plastic or waxed paper fibre washers.

Terms and conditions are Parcelforce's choice. Whilst we have tried to influence better language sometimes the message has not been received. It appears that components are viewed as a problem that can cause parcels to be stopped, opened and investigated to ensure complience with the explosives prohibition so they have chosen to ban all components of ammunition even though empty cases (for example) are not explosive.

Its their choice however inconvenient it may be to us.

BASC continues to make representation.

Blocks of lead are not ammunition components nor are casting blocks - lead blocks are lead blocks util they resemble any component of ammunition. Same applies to beeswax.

So that is for items that are originally posted within the UK to a UK address.
So items posted from outside the UK to a UK address i.e. USA are exempt?
Or perhaps my point is irrelevant if they are posted in US and sent via UPS to an address within the UK.?
Cheers
Richard

Whilst we have tried to influence better language sometimes the message has not been received. It appears that components are viewed as a problem that can cause parcels to be stopped, opened and investigated to ensure complience with the explosives prohibition so they have chosen to ban all components of ammunition even though empty cases (for example) are not explosive.

OK.

So in fact am I to understand it that this does mean that empty cases are now prohibited by Parcelforce as a "parcel" as they prohibit using the wording of ammunition and ammunition components.

Whereas by a strict reading of THEIR terms and conditions that uses only the word ammunition that as cartridge cases are in fact components and not by any definition ammunition said cartridge cases can still be carried by Royal Mail as a "letter" or "packet"?

Last edited:
Yet another previously excellent service that over the years has got worse and worse. From two posts a day without fail and parcels delivered by people you know and trusted, to post once a day unless someone goes sick, parcels sometime this week perhaps after they've been used in the sorting office football competition, bent postmen who steal anything that looks expensive. You have to post any letters through a pretend letterbox to see what it'll cost you, weigh it, declare anything of value (to make it easier for the dodgy postmen), go and collect your own mail if you live a bit far off the beaten track, be in or collect parcels yourself....

I don't mean to rubbish all postal workers, should any be on here, but it does seem more and more are getting caught stealing where you never used to hear of it at all. I'm sure most are of course still honest.

rantover.com

Back