Vit N140 and Varget

big ears

I need some advice. I load 308 150 & 165 gr as a hunting load. the 150 with N 140 and the 165 with varget. I also want to load some 130 gr barnes TSX which the barnes website says is suited to varget best. I am, like everyone else running out of Varget. In practical terms is there much difference between N140 and varget? Some burn rate charts put them next to each other whilst in others there is a gap. I do not intend to use the varget data as an absolute instead would work up a load from the lower level until I am happy with the grouping.

what I would like to know is has anyone switched to vit from varget and if so have they had similar performance? Also has anyone had any bad results, and lastly has anyone used vit N140 with the barnes 130gr TSX ?

cheers

BE

moved from varget to n140 only in 243 getting good results . 308 i use h4895 my sako did't like the tsx bullets so i use pro-hunters

u can make them work with enough testing.u may get lucky first time.i usually try 1gr under max and that usually is the best load

. 308 i use h4895 my sako did't like the tsx bullets so i use pro-hunters
cannot get any hodgdon powders either did think of H4895. Had thought of 130 pro hunters but again sierra bullets are getting scarce. I have a Sako so hope I don't have same issue as you with the TSX I know they do like to jump so am planning to load 50 thou off at start. Good to know that someone has made the switch without too much pain.

I've been working up some Barnes TSX (85gr) and TTSX (80gr) in my Sako .243

Did a lot of internet forum searching beforehand (mostly USA) - here's a thread worth reading:
An interesting 'trick' to get Barnes TSX and TTSX's to shoot well early on. - 24hourcampfire
(hope it works!)
Anyway, after a lot of faffing about with indifferent results (slow and mediocre grouping) using Lapua new brass and Hodgson H4350 at every imaginable load/jump to the lands, and right up to maximum loads (no pressure signs), I was disappointed.

Then I managed to get some Vit N550.
So far only tried with the TSX (85gr). What a difference! At sub-maximum load (maximum minus 0.5 grain - Vit/Lapua data), and a generous jump to lands (0.086") the group size suddenly dropped to <1.0 cm and the MV was high (3300fps) to boot! And no signs of pressure!
(I'll get round to the TTSX - 80gr, eventually!).
So they work well when you strike the right combination!

They do need a clean (of gilding metal) barrel, and foul up rapidly (copper); but I took a tip from Moray Outfitting/Forest & Hill and tried Smooth-Kote bore treatment on a squeaky clean barrel and it seems to help a lot.

I'd be interested to hear how others in UK get on with Barnes TSX/TTSX.

​alasdair.

no worrys on bullets or h4895 this way feller if i was going your way i would drop you some off,
mind you i'am off to dorset next tuesday !

cannot get any hodgdon powders either did think of H4895. Had thought of 130 pro hunters but again sierra bullets are getting scarce. I have a Sako so hope I don't have same issue as you with the TSX I know they do like to jump so am planning to load 50 thou off at start. Good to know that someone has made the switch without too much pain.

FWIW.
​Switched from 44gn Varget to 46gn Vhit 150 in .308 with 150gn Sierra 2125's to get good accuracy at 100 and a mean average 2731 fps with 2482 ftlbs at the muzzle. (thanks Dave!)

Fed up with non availability of Varget.

One observation is that Varget is snappy and VHit is more of a push on the shoulder.

Hi there,

i use N140 for everything from .223 to 30-06 and everything inbetween! N140 is a very consistent powder, excellent burn rate, very clean and above all else reasonably priced. It's my powder of choice! I also use n150 and reloader 15 for heavier heads, but I have worked up some excellent loads for my RPA in .243 with n140 and 85g sierras.

update essex and that gun shop at cat hill is out of h4895 :cry: and lg primers are getting short , the gods could only keep us safe for so long bit of 140/150/160 @£78 a kg for sale at dick turpins gun shop :eek: ordered some geco sp in 243/308 just in case this go's on til next year !!

my rpa hunter 243 also loves this load in 85hp and n140 powder.

Hi there,

i use N140 for everything from .223 to 30-06 and everything inbetween! N140 is a very consistent powder, excellent burn rate, very clean and above all else reasonably priced. It's my powder of choice! I also use n150 and reloader 15 for heavier heads, but I have worked up some excellent loads for my RPA in .243 with n140 and 85g sierras.

Hi there,

thats great and what I wanted to hear. Never thought of using it in the 223 but will give it a go. It would be very useful to use only one powder, that us until they stop producing it.

​BE

The story I've heard is that the company that owns the Vihtavuori plant has put it up for sale, but production continues for now. If they do sell it and the new owners want to carry on then it's business as usual, but if they want to use the plant to produce different products then that would be it for Viht. I've converted from Varget and H4831SC to N140 and N160 and the results are at least as good, and it's cheaper, so I hope they carry on.

The story I've heard is that the company that owns the Vihtavuori plant has put it up for sale, but production continues for now. If they do sell it and the new owners want to carry on then it's business as usual, but if they want to use the plant to produce different products then that would be it for Viht. I've converted from Varget and H4831SC to N140 and N160 and the results are at least as good, and it's cheaper, so I hope they carry on.
I too have heard issues with Vit although the most convincing story is that Vit has essentially three arms, military, agriculture( fertiliser) and retail (ie us). The plant in Finland has been split and the none retail part put up for sale. I have been assured that vit powder is going to be produced for the conceivable future and I would guess that with the US going nuts their demands will increase which should fortify them to keep producing. Lets hope so anyway as vit is great stuff and have now converted all of my 308 150&165 rounds without loss of performance. Barnes 130's are next then the 223

I too have become a Viht convert after using Varget for years. Couldn't get hold of it anymore but I'm happy with N140 and works out a good bit cheaper. Hopefully production continues!

What about Ramshot?
Tried some TAC in my .222 Saturday with excellent results, much cheaper at £32.50/lb too.
Made in Belgium too so should be in continuous supply?

Back