Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DSC1 Simulated Stalk Equipment (URGENT)

DSC1 Simulated Stalk Equipment (URGENT)

Hi guys.

Firstly I'm an idiot as I put a post up in this forum last week saying I had my DSC1 test next month. It's actually this weekend, which I'm sure I've known for a while now. I'm doing it with the BDS in Dorset.

Anyway - as I'm packing to go away tonight (driving off after work tomorrow), I'd be grateful if someone could answer two questions for me.

1. I have the equipment listed below packed and ready for the simulated stalk / shooting test:

- Waterproof trousers / jacket
    - Binoculars
    - Shooting sticks
    - Ear defenders

I don't have a rifle or ammunition to take - the police won't grant me a deer rifle without DSC1. Is there anything else I might need?

2. I have gone through all the threads I can find here regarding the simulated stalk. I can find no clear answer on whether I should carry a rifle
    a) pointing at the floor
    b) pointing into the sky

I have found that some people advise "always at the floor" - I can do this by putting the sling over my right shoulder and controlling the direction of the barrel with a hand on the forend. I'm not confident with that approach however.

I have also found that some people advise "into the sky with sling over the shoulder". Some of those people advise carrying it like the picture on this page:

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/shootin...039s_zero.html

Others say the rifle should be in front of you with a hand on the forend. I struggle to picture this, but is it achieved by carrying the rifle "upside down"?

Still others say ask on the day what the acceptable technique is and demonstrate it.

Any advice you can give about this would be very valuable - I'm very nervous about the safety stuff as my experience with rifles is (see above) limited.

Many thanks,

Adam.

Sounds like you have all you need for the shooting test and sim stalk. TBH when i did the simulated stalk on my dsc1 we carried a rifle but didn't bother with binoculars or sticks etc (but bet to have them with you just in case!).

Also, I was on a 3 day course, the tests were all on day 3. The day before the tests we were told that on the simulated stalk we should carry our rifles muzzle down.

All the best with it,
    Mike

PS - sure you'll do fine

Boots?

As for the rifle Barrel down as if you have a mod and/or bipod on the it would make it unwieldy and should the worst happen in a real situation you should only put a hole in the ground rather than launching a projectile at some ballistic angle over the horizon. If anything happens and you are carring it like the pic you are in deep do do...

I was nervous as hell about this bit of the course as well - the rest I was fine about. Basically relax, on mine the instructors we supportive and want you to pass. Obviously if the end up looking down the barrel of the rifle you'll fail.

Check you're saftey catch often and be seen to check it and tell the instructor what you are doing. This includes checking rifle is clear before accepting it and passing it over. You wont look like a nerd because they want you to show that you are safe - and the only way is to demonstrate it and say what you are doing.

For the deer targets LOOK AT THEM. Use your bins - it can help. Look for problems. If you are unsure about it you will probably be right and there is a problem with the shot. Even if you don't know why you dont want to shot it just say no and I'm not happy with it. I did - and after a few questions to me it turned out that the reason I didn't shot was correct. But the one that IS safe is obviously so.

​Good luck

Thanks guys - understood.

Just to be clear then, carrying a rifle with the muzzle pointing at the ground means:
    a) Putting the strap over your shoulder with the rifle "upside down", then
    b) Lowering the muzzle of the rifle so that it's pointing well down towards the floor?

I've been shown other ways of carrying them on my accompanied stalking trips so far, though I guess that's partly because of the way the stalking was done.

Thanks again for any guidance you can give,

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    Hi guys.

Firstly I'm an idiot as I put a post up in this forum last week saying I had my DSC1 test next month. It's actually this weekend, which I'm sure I've known for a while now. I'm doing it with the BDS in Dorset.

Anyway - as I'm packing to go away tonight (driving off after work tomorrow), I'd be grateful if someone could answer two questions for me.

1. I have the equipment listed below packed and ready for the simulated stalk / shooting test:

- Waterproof trousers / jacket
    - Binoculars
    - Shooting sticks
    - Ear defenders

I don't have a rifle or ammunition to take - the police won't grant me a deer rifle without DSC1. Is there anything else I might need?

2. I have gone through all the threads I can find here regarding the simulated stalk. I can find no clear answer on whether I should carry a rifle
    a) pointing at the floor
    b) pointing into the sky

I have found that some people advise "always at the floor" - I can do this by putting the sling over my right shoulder and controlling the direction of the barrel with a hand on the forend. I'm not confident with that approach however.

I have also found that some people advise "into the sky with sling over the shoulder". Some of those people advise carrying it like the picture on this page:

http://www.sportinggun.co.uk/shootin...039s_zero.html

Others say the rifle should be in front of you with a hand on the forend. I struggle to picture this, but is it achieved by carrying the rifle "upside down"?

Still others say ask on the day what the acceptable technique is and demonstrate it.

Any advice you can give about this would be very valuable - I'm very nervous about the safety stuff as my experience with rifles is (see above) limited.

Many thanks,

Adam.

If you are doing the test with Jan Andrews and the BDS in Dorset she will probably ask you to carry the rifle muzzle down. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    If you are doing the test with Jan Andrews and the BDS in Dorset she will probably ask you to carry the rifle muzzle down. atb Tim
    Yes, that's right. Thank you - I'll do it that way then.

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    The day before the tests we were told that on the simulated stalk we should carry our rifles muzzle down.
    Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    If you are doing the test with Jan Andrews and the BDS in Dorset she will probably ask you to carry the rifle muzzle down
    I would just ask the assessors before the test. It was a long time ago, but when I did mine we all had to carry muzzle up even though I was used to carrying the muzzle down...

Also show anyone in your company that the rifle is safe either when you pick it up or pass ot on , and show that you are always muzzle aware , try to relax and keep calm , then you shouldnt panick and make mistakes , atb arron.
    Last edited by arron; 16-08-2013 at 13:24.

just chill feller and take in some air you will be fine no deer are going to be shot so just relax and suck in the info, just a walk in the woods enjoy it remember the back stops as that will be a big thing ,if you are't happy tell her/he why you would not take the shot .
    atvb

I'm pretty sure, but I can't really remember but I am reasonably sure that I was asked for my knife when I was doing the simulated stalk, to check it's suitability.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses