Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Through the shoulders?

Through the shoulders?

What are members thoughts on shot placement to reduce the distance a beast might run after a shot.
    If you are worried the beast will cross onto another boundry that you dont have access to etc.
    I know a good heart shot can drop em on the spot, but equally they may well run a bit.
    If you are not confident on a clean head or neck shot is through the shoulders the best bet?

Buh, if that ol' beast is a-sideways on, just yew walk your scope up the back of his front leg and about halfway up the back of the shoulder blade and let 'er go!

Actually old bean if we think about the dear little muntjac I'd rather lose a shoulder blade any day than spoil the tenderloin.

Now, here's the thing, I don't know how many muntjac, roe and fallow deer I've shot with 243 and 100gn bullets in the last 17 years but, touch wood, I've not yet had the worry of a runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    What are members thoughts on shot placement to reduce the distance a beast might run after a shot.
    If you are worried the beast will cross onto another boundry that you dont have access to etc.
    I know a good heart shot can drop em on the spot, but equally they may well run a bit.
    If you are not confident on a clean head or neck shot is through the shoulders the best bet?
    its a shot I've used quite a lot in the past with boundary issues, I do not see a problem with it.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

if you have a good agreement (which is always a good thing) with you neighbours then it shouldn't matter, as the retrieve doesn't become a problem. If on the other hand its a problem then reluctantly the shoulders must have it.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkathreebarrels View Post

Now, here's the thing, I don't know how many muntjac, roe and fallow deer I've shot with 243 and 100gn bullets in the last 17 years but, touch wood, I've not yet had the worry of a runner.
    Really? A man who's not had a runner hasn't shot many deer

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Its the go to shot for big deer like sambar,I shot a stag with that shot only yesterday evening.
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Quote Originally Posted by 75 View Post
    Really? A man who's not had a runner hasn't shot many deer
    Not with a .243 they ain't
    chest shooting fallow with a .243 produces runners

​through the shoulder works well even if you do need to finish off with a knife from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    if you have a good agreement (which is always a good thing) with you neighbours then it shouldn't matter, as the retrieve doesn't become a problem. If on the other hand its a problem then reluctantly the shoulders must have it.
    You forgot to mention the other option bud.......you never HAVE to take a shot! And as you may of worked out I am definitely not a fan of 'Pinning'

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    You forgot to mention the other option bud.......you never HAVE to take a shot! And as you may of worked out I am definitely not a fan of 'Pinning'

Martin
    Who mentioned having to take the shot BUD !! and what are you meaning by pinning ??