Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass head damage

Brass head damage

I've not long been reloading and am finding that when closeing the bolt (which can be quite difficult) it is marking the case head. Anybody shed some light on this. Thanks

I'd be a little concerned by both facts.

Stiff bolt on closing indicates case sizing issues for one.

Marked brass, if it is after firing, is a good sign of excess pressure from your load recipe.

​Tell us more, with pictures if you can.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

Have you trimmed the cases to the correct length?, what happens if you load an empty case, is it still stiff to close the bolt and leaving marks?.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Are you just neck sizing by any chance or are you full length resizing?
    Also have you trimmed the cases and are the cases ones that have been shot since new in your rifle?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

May I suggest you go back and read how to set up your dies again. I am thinking that you have not got them correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    May I suggest you go back and read how to set up your dies again. I am thinking that you have not got them correct.
    +1, you may only need to turn your sizing die down a fraction.

+1 That would have been my next comment if the OP had replied regarding how he was sizing his cases. Probably the most common mistake and something that most of us forget to check on times.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

+1
    2p worth as above it sounds like
    head space prob and your shoulders are to high . you may see like a smear on the head after forcing the bolt closed if indeed you can don't force it !! but after fireing it close's with the fired case with no problems .try this, grab a case size it place this in your chamber will it close with no force Y= ok N=1/4 turn your die down until the case and bolt fit close with no problems then make a dummy to your size and then try again Y=happy N= try again drop your bullet back 5tho.
    happy loading life a leaning curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbshot View Post
    +1, you may only need to turn your sizing die down a fraction.

Quote Originally Posted by charadam View Post
    I'd be a little concerned by both facts. Stiff bolt on closing indicates case sizing issues for one. Marked brass, if it is after firing, is a good sign of excess pressure from your load recipe. ​Tell us more, with pictures if you can.
    ​+1 Good luck. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Thanks fellas will give your thoughts a try. Will let you know how I get on