Thread: Anyone tried similar in this country?

Anyone tried similar in this country?

Whitetail deer enthusiasts can save some money while having the satisfaction of doing it themselves when it comes to deer mineral supplements this spring. There are many fantastic commercial whitetail deer mineral supplements on the market today, a few of which I either have used or continue to use with great success. These store bought supplements come with lots of added vitamins and minerals that help make deer healthy. You simply cannot make these more beneficial mineral supplements in your garage.

However, there have been times when I've had to pinch pennies and making my own basic mineral supplement was all that I could do to help the deer where I hunted. Basic is the key to this mineral supplement recipe but it does include some key ingredients that not only will help the health of the deer population in your area, it will attract them too.

To begin, you will need to go to your local feed store and purchase three bags of ingredients Stock Salt, Trace Mineral, and Di-Calcium Phosphate. All can be purchased in "loose" or granulated forms in 50-pound bags. You will need two bags of trace mineral and one bag each of Di-Calcium Phosphate and Stock Salt. Make certain you keep all three ingredients separate until ready to use.

Once you've decided on a location to start your mineral lick, preferably a site where deer frequent already, you can begin to mix your ingredients in a large bucket, wheel barrow or trash can. Use a 3-pound coffee can to measure each of the ingredients.

Mix your own mineral and place it in a high deer activity area and get results like this!

once mixed do you just throw it around Basil??

Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder
    once mixed do you just throw it around Basil??
    I`m not sure Ian.
    It sounds interesting so i`m trying to find out more about it.
    I`m thinking you dig the pit then spread the ingredients around.
    basil.

I don't know if this helps Basil but I've found that molasses attracts deer, or at least sika, like crazy. I put some on a tree stump as an experiment just to see how they took to it, when I came back the tree stump was gone and the ground around well dug up in an effort to get all the molasses.

So you can save a lot of mixing and trouble by just buying some molasses from a local farm supplier and pouring some onto rocks, or stumps or similar. What ever you do don't put it on something that you ever want to see again!

I would also occasionally mix some with beef nuts and I've seen deer come some distance to that with noses in the air, even with the wind behind them. They seem to be able to smell it for miles and even if the wind is unfavourable.

No idea if it will work for you or your deer but well worth a try if all you want is an attractant, and mix it with beef nuts if you want minerals etc.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach
    I don't know if this helps Basil but I've found that molasses attracts deer, or at least sika, like crazy. I put some on a tree stump as an experiment just to see how they took to it, when I came back the tree stump was gone and the ground around well dug up in an effort to get all the molasses.

So you can save a lot of mixing and trouble by just buying some molasses from a local farm supplier and pouring some onto rocks, or stumps or similar. What ever you do don't put it on something that you ever want to see again!

I would also occasionally mix some with beef nuts and I've seen deer come some distance to that with noses in the air, even with the wind behind them. They seem to be able to smell it for miles and even if the wind is unfavourable.

No idea if it will work for you or your deer but well worth a try if all you want is an attractant, and mix it with beef nuts if you want minerals etc.
    I only have Roe deer so i`d happily put the effort and time in if i could hold a few deer in the area.
    basil.

MINERAL LICK SITES

Basil Bushwear were stocking a ready mixed version of what you were describing in your post called rack-up but i see they have recently dropped it from there product list.
    However it is still available in the states and is basically just a blend of calcium phosphorus magnesium sodium and other trace elements and minerals.

These ingredients are esential for the developement of teeth muscle bone and tissue and in females the developement of the foetus and milk production for a lactating doe.
    Whilst these ingredients are found naturaly in the deers habitat in differing quantities they will sometimes make the most of a mineral site if they encounter one.

Some park deer managers and deer farmers often provide an extra source of minerals due to the higher than normal stocking rates and for the general well being of the herd.
    Over the last six years i have been experimenting with mineral sites in diferent counties with varied results
    Firstly i tried the crystals/powdered versions, but found with the heavy rain we seem to get nowadays it was soon washed away leaching deeply into the soil as to be of no use
    Slightly beter results were obtained by pouring it on old tree stumps and sika fallow and the ocasional roe would frequent the sites once they had discovered it which could sometimes take considerable time
    With the use of stealth cams i discovered that the deer would use the site whilst in the area but wouldnt return once they had moved on to an area with better feeding. So my conclusion was that they are not heavily dependent on an extra source of these minerals/vitamins etc well in wild deer at least.
    Recently i have been using salt/mineral blocks in purpose built holders and these last for months and are easily obtainable from mole valley farmers quite cheeply.
    Marketed as a horse lick they are also suitable for cattle goats and of course deer

They also come flavoured and i have had good results with the apple

To help the deer discover the lick site quicker i usually apply some aniseed paste onto the salt/mineral block as the scent carries well and the fallow in particalar seem to like it.

With the three species of deer i have acess to fallow seem the first to use the site followed closely by sika with only the ocasional passing visit from the roe.
    I am continuing with the lick sites at present as i cant yet explain why these sites work well/really well in some areas yet are not that productive in others.
    On more than one ocasion large numbers of fallow have arrived at the site pressumably atracted by the aniseed smell and stayed in the area for quite a few days yet have made no atempt to try the lick

It looks like i have still one helll of a lot to learn in trying to understand the way the deer think and behave but frustrating as it is its still fun trying to figure them out and just one more reason to keep me out in the fields.

Regards
    RICK O SHEA

I used the apple flavoured licks and couldn't replace then fast enough!
    If you decide to use them, then nailing the holder to a 4" fence post will not suffice, we had to cut back sitka and nail the holder to the tree,or drill a small hole on the block and hang it from a tree so they can't get a good grip on them..

I did use these and other methods to attract deer elswhere and there was a complaint that it was not sporting, and I was told not to use them again!

regards
    griff

As Rick says, the blocks from Mole Valley and other agricultural suuppliers might work just as well as high-falutin costly USA 'hunter' stuff.

I have used them in farmed, park and wild deer situations both as a mineral suppliment and to keep the deer interested. Some of them come with a hole through the centre, and I found that the most effective way to use them in the wild was to put them on a decent 6' pole with a metal spike on top. That way they don't decay too fast and the runoff soaks into the pole and the deer lick that rather than demolishing the block itself.

Place it in view of a high seat or a vantage point and you might be surprised at the results - different species in different areas with different natural feed available will have different mineral requirements - what works on roe somewhere and is ignored by reds, might be the opposite elsewhere.

Something else worth trying as a cheap experiment is red clover or similar. Scattering some seed in a secluded clearing in the spring might act as an attractant - worked on fallow and roe for me once.