At what age can young persons use a firearm when supervised?

Cyres

Please could somebody provide clear guidance on this?

I am aware of the age restriction on a club range or a small bore gallery, but at the age of 14 a person may have a FAC so in all intents and purposes use a Firearm.

The question is as a dad with 5 kids ranging from 7 to 18 yrs old at what age could they legally use a firearm when supervised by me to shoot either targets or live quarry?

I cannot seem to find a concise answer, and I don't understand the estate rifle rule.

What do the prof guides do when they are asked to take out a young person?

regards

​D

Please could somebody provide clear guidance on this?

I am aware of the age restriction on a club range or a small bore gallery, but at the age of 14 a person may have a FAC so in all intents and purposes use a Firearm.

The question is as a dad with 5 kids ranging from 7 to 18 yrs old at what age could they legally use a firearm when supervised by me to shoot either targets or live quarry?

I cannot seem to find a concise answer, and I don't understand the estate rifle rule.

What do the prof guides do when they are asked to take out a young person?

regards

​D

Cyres,

14 is for a SGC.

18 for FAC.

As for use of Rifles the Estate Rifle Rule explains it all. If you do not understand it then there is nothing else that can help you.

​Stan

Sorry its not correct, they can have a FAC at 14 so if they have one then as I see it they can shoot have a look at the BASC web site. What the question is whats the law when they don't. I don't think estate rifle applies to a person who has permission to shoot as per an owner of or an employee of said person.

​D

Was thinking about using in their own right without parental control or on a Home Office approved site.

Strictly the law means only 18 and can use a firearm with no FAC under Estate Rule.

Now, some Cadet based facilities may operate under something else.

​Stan

To put it simply, I could well be out lamping next week, with 18yr old, 16, and 12 year old all in the truck, spot a fox, safe to shoot, so who is legal to shoot it other than myself and the 18 yr old?

​D

To put it simply, I could well be out lamping next week, with 18yr old, 16, and 12 year old all in the truck, spot a fox, safe to shoot, so who is legal to shoot it other than myself and the 18 yr old?

​D

18 year old - Yes
16 year old - only if they hold a FAC
12 year old - No.

My son had to do a DSC1 to shoot any where other than an approved range,to be able to do the shooting test he had to have his own FAC and rifle that i had given him.He is a member of a club that has it,s own range so he was able to get his FAC after he turn 14.Less than two weeks after he was 14 he had passed his DSC 1,there is nothing in law that say,s he cannot go out on his own with his rifle.This in my opinion is not how it should be,he is never aloud out without me.

Back