First of September

ion

1st September is opening day of the deer season in Ireland. On Saturday evening I went to a low ground sika permission to put up a high seat. I was half way through the job when a spiker came out to view the proceedings. He did everything but paint a bullseye on his side. I had planned to bring the deerhound cross for company but changed my mind. I suspect this display would have undone years of 'careful training' ( I go through the motions of training which she takes great care to ignore!) To rub salt in the wound the spiker came out to feed on the stubble as I was leaving, it was a pleasure to watch how his summer coat blended in with the colour of the stubble.
Friday night I went for a wander on some red ground and watched an uneven staggie, a hind and calf. He was showing interest in the hind but she was having none of it.

All the signs are that it has been a good breeding season.

We've spent a good deal of the summer reading about the sport your side of the water and now our turn is coming up , but why oh why did I not spot that I have been rostered for the first week of September.

Good hunting

Ion

Attachments

• mail.google.com.jpeg
    mail.google.com.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 71
Back