Thread: My budget foxing rifle .223

My budget foxing rifle .223

With selling my fac shotgun I have a single shot nef .223 in mind which is in my local shop for 200,but its scoped with a tasco golden antler 4x40 scope.The scope in question is more than likely crap for the job of foxing,but and the big but is my budget is tight scope wise.Does the .223 require a expensive scope for the recoil.The gun wont be used a great deal as its more to keep the foxes down and keep my rabbiting on the farms I hunt with my .22lr.Also mainly used for lamping them.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmin View Post
    With selling my fac shotgun I have a single shot nef .223 in mind which is in my local shop for 200,but its scoped with a tasco golden antler 4x40 scope.The scope in question is more than likely crap for the job of foxing,but and the big but is my budget is tight scope wise.Does the .223 require a expensive scope for the recoil.The gun wont be used a great deal as its more to keep the foxes down and keep my rabbiting on the farms I hunt with my .22lr.Also mainly used for lamping them.

the recoil from a 223 and many other cf rifle is less than you might thing for the scope in question, the older tascos where very nice scopes, and the one in question may be of use to someone on here,

go for it and you will be suprised.

bob.

ps: best of luck with the nef: i had a few shots with one a while ago..................sadly i handed it back very quickly,

the reason was its point of balance was not good and it was not ejecting any of the rounds fired, i did not like the feel of it, and even as a budget rifle i would save a bit longer and get a CZ/remy/ something else.
    Last edited by bobjs; 18-08-2013 at 13:20.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

same scope that was on my .222 when I bought it
    works just fine under the lamp at sensible distances

Was thinking about a small bipod for it bob.Apart from the points you raise bob would it fit the bill for a part time foxing gun or is it really a pile of junk?

Hi brewsher, so maybe not bad for a part timer like myself.It served you ok for awhile I take it.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by jazmin View Post
    Was thinking about a small bipod for it bob.Apart from the points you raise bob would it fit the bill for a part time foxing gun or is it really a pile of junk?
    to be honest Bud, i would save a bit longer and pick up a nicer rifle, there are some cracking deals on this forum, spend wisely spend only once,

the yanks shout about them from time to time but they just like anything that they can shoot or if it makes a loud noise. the scope is a good un and it will do until you are set up, concentrate on the rifle then get better glass and then you will only have to spend your hard earned cash once,

ps: i have been down this very same road, and i bet there are a fair few other done the same in the early days.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube