Thread: Primers for hornady brass

Primers for hornady brass

just reloaded some hornady 308 using cci primers. Most were tight to get in some very tight. Went to range and had a series of misfires something which has never happened before. Think that the primers are deforming as they are seated and therefore not firing.
    What primers do you recommend for hornady. Are federal any smaller than cci?
    Cheers

​BE

2p worth
    have you used a primer hole cutter/cleaner ihave hornady brass and use cci primers ok

IIRC the Federal and CCI are the same. Remington 9.5's are a little smaller. That said, you've just got tight primer pockets on that LOT of brass. (or some fat primers!) Tight or not, I'm not understanding the misfires unless you're really crushing the primers home and unseating the anvil.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    just reloaded some hornady 308 using cci primers. Most were tight to get in some very tight. Went to range and had a series of misfires something which has never happened before. Think that the primers are deforming as they are seated and therefore not firing.
    What primers do you recommend for hornady. Are federal any smaller than cci?
    Cheers

​BE
    Hornady use Remington primers. These must be slightly smaller than CCI 200, as they always seem to slip in very easily.

Can't offer any help on the misfires. Even if crush-fitted CCI should still work.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

the tightness of the primers shouldn't make any difference,I presume your using a LEE hand priming tool ?? there not the greatest and seat primers uneven,
    take the bullet apart that gas miss fired remove the primer and hit it with a hammer and punch,that will tell you if its the primer.
    I had a problem rifle once which was doing the same turned out to be the grease inside the boltt slowing the firing ping down

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Hornady use Remington primers. These must be slightly smaller than CCI 200, as they always seem to slip in very easily.

Can't offer any help on the misfires. Even if crush-fitted CCI should still work.
    Not necessarily bit too much pressure will nadger them enough to not work, got that t shirt many years ago.

handloaded for almost 40 years all makes of brass and all makes of primers and no missfires so far

Thanks guys.
    Yes there was at times quite a bit of force needed to seat primer, using an RCBS hand primer. On close inspection there was obvious deformity of the primer. All of the pockets were cleaned with a pocket cleaner which was not tight. When the same primers out of the box were loaded into lapua brass there was not a problem. I am sure it's tight pockets on the brass hence the question. I'll work on the pockets and see if they will seat better if not I'll see if i can get some remmington primers if that doesn't work I'll bin them.

thanks for your help.

BE