Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking Smock

Stalking Smock

I've started looking for a smock to replace my deerhunter jacket, which has now seen better days. I've tried on a Ridgleline Pintail (under £100) and a Nomad smock last year (£300+); a Swazi Nahanni or Tahr direct from New Zealand are also on the list of contenders.
    There's a big gulf in price, and no doubt the old adage about getting what you pay for applies, but any suggestions would be welcome.
    Most of my shooting is from high seats, but with the odd day stalking on the hill for reds.

I have a ridgeline smock and sweat to buggery in it, recently bought a swazi, and it is true you get what you pay for, they are brilliant. Simples.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

If you like sweating like hell and being cold then get a ridge line. Or, save your money and cut a hole in a bin bag.

How about a mil surplus windproof smock? I've been using them for quite a while now and they work well. Treat them with waterproofing and they are reasonably waterproof for a goodly length of time, more than enough for most stalking outings. Very breathable, comfortable, great pockets. They are available in a range of colours, including olive green, but the most common flavours currently are MTP and the older DPM. Lots of them on ebay, don't pay big money for them but bid on ones in your size with a low starting price and expect to pay around £10 - £15. You do see people asking, and paying, over £100 for them, what can I say?

If you need 100% waterproof then add a flecktarn or DPM Goretex jacket and wear it UNDER the smock - so you keep all your pockets and are still quiet but have an additional totally waterproof layer. This is why many of the Goretex mil surplus jackets have very few pockets as they are designed to be worn under the smock. Prices for the Goretex jackets are in the £15 - £30 region. They are light and pack down small. There is a very packable new MTP Goretex but I've never tried them, they have no hood and there is some suggestion they may not be very waterproof so they might be something to avoid.

With the combination of the two jackets you are sorted for all conditions for very little money and if you don't like them for stalking you can use them for other stuff or put them back on ebay and get your money back.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    How about a mil surplus windproof smock? I've been using them for quite a while now and they work well. Treat them with waterproofing and they are reasonably waterproof for a goodly length of time, more than enough for most stalking outings. Very breathable, comfortable, great pockets. They are available in a range of colours, including olive green, but the most common flavours currently are MTP and the older DPM. Lots of them on ebay, don't pay big money for them but bid on ones in your size with a low starting price and expect to pay around £10 - £15. You do see people asking, and paying, over £100 for them, what can I say?

If you need 100% waterproof then add a flecktarn or DPM Goretex jacket and wear it UNDER the smock - so you keep all your pockets and are still quiet but have an additional totally waterproof layer. This is why many of the Goretex mil surplus jackets have very few pockets as they are designed to be worn under the smock. Prices for the Goretex jackets are in the £15 - £30 region. They are light and pack down small. There is a very packable new MTP Goretex but I've never tried them, they have no hood and there is some suggestion they may not be very waterproof so they might be something to avoid.

With the combination of the two jackets you are sorted for all conditions for very little money and if you don't like them for stalking you can use them for other stuff or put them back on ebay and get your money back.

This is sound advice from which I learned a while back (thanks caorach) I used to put the goretex on the outside rustled like Gary lineker with a bag of walkers ...lol with the goretex inside you will stay dry and warm on the wettest of days and all done cheaply, and as mentioned you can get your few pennies back on ebay easy, it's the way to go...ok I have a deerhuner as well but it doesn't get as much use nowadays and that mtp pattern well it just look's better than the dpm and maybe less easy seen by the deer being lighter in contrast, well worth the small investment for sure.

I use this method myself very cheap way to stay dry and quite.

stoney creek long bush coat from bushwear at £115.99 ive had mine for over a year now it doesnt sweat you up and has never let a drop of water in and the sizes are decent as well if you fat folker like myself only thing against it tho is that it isnt fantasticaly warm and on the colder days wil require a lightweight flece or wolly jumper underneath for added warmth but all in all a very good smock

I have the Deerhunter smock ,wore it through last winter and was very impressed had to wear two pairs of gloves and still had very cold hands , but with the right amount of layering was as warm as toast.
    Not in a high seat but standing in forest areas , also they breath and wick the moisture away so fine if walking about.
    I have looked at the NZ smocks and I understand if you join there clothing club you can get additional discount and it take's about two weeks .
    Same smock as on Ray Mears site and hundreds cheaper.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post

I use army surplus stuff.

Special Forces smock. Gortex shell either under or over if it rains. I can't comment on the other products swazi etc as I have never used them.

I use the-outdoor.co.uk. They have decent stuff. Their ebay site is worth a look as well as they sometimes list the same stuff cheaper there.

btw I have no connection to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I've started looking for a smock to replace my deerhunter jacket, which has now seen better days. I've tried on a Ridgleline Pintail (under £100) and a Nomad smock last year (£300+); a Swazi Nahanni or Tahr direct from New Zealand are also on the list of contenders.
    There's a big gulf in price, and no doubt the old adage about getting what you pay for applies, but any suggestions would be welcome.
    Most of my shooting is from high seats, but with the odd day stalking on the hill for reds.
    Hi Rupert
    I have just picked up a new mil surplus MTP windproof smock I will bring it to the meeting tomorrow and you can have a look
    Geordie