Thread: Logs

Logs

Just wondering about the vat status of fire wood, am I right in thinking it would come under the 5% bracket like other forms of heating fuel?

This apples to Scotland check with you own area office or with forestry commission in Edinburgh for English permits .

Yes, VAT is 5% on firewood providing the sale is to the consumer. It is 20% on business to business sales.

And here is the relevant section from HMRC

7.1.2 Wood, peat and charcoal

A supply of wood, peat or charcoal that you hold out for sale solely as fuel qualifies for the reduced rate provided that your customer does not intend to resell it. This applies regardless of the amount you supply.

VAT?? Must have woken up in the wrong place.

Never paid VAT on logs - or got a receipt, or paid anything other than cash.

Quote Originally Posted by kuwinda View Post
    VAT?? Must have woken up in the wrong place.

Never paid VAT on logs - or got a receipt, or paid anything other than cash.

The way it should be.

VAT can only be charged by a VAT registered business/person. The usual trigger for registration is turnover, when it reaches 79,000. If you are being charged VAT then you should receive an invoice that shows the VAT registration number.

Quote Originally Posted by IanLuc View Post
    Just wondering about the vat status of fire wood, am I right in thinking it would come under the 5% bracket like other forms of heating fuel?
    Yes, with the horrendously large sums of taxpayers cash variously going into projects like wind turbines and solar panels there really ought to be 0 rate VAT on logs. atb Tim