Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What age roughly are these?

What age roughly are these?

These are jaws from 2 bucks I shot on Friday around Kirkcudbright area, quite close to the shore line but reasonable quality food. Both were six pointers heavy coronets with thinning beams, what age bracket do you think?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	31529

This should be good............

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Without tooth disecting ageing is virtually impossible without other factors taken into account. Antlers themselves may give a rough indication, as will the body and even then it will only be a wild guess.
    Even with tooth disecting you would only be within a year or two at best.
    Animals should only ever be classified as young, middle aged or old.
    And anybody who goes any further is a fool.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I'd look more on tooth wear. I once shot a 6 pointer that I think was under 2 years old (looking at teeth).

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Animals should only ever be classified as young, middle aged or old.
    And anybody who goes any further is a fool.
    Slightly harsh me thinks teyhan? I have a jaw board with ages from 6 months to 10 years ish. They all come from the same beat too. Whilst the 10 year old may be 9 or even 11 and the 6 year old may be 5 or 7 there is a definite wear difference and if I shoot something on that beat I would say I could be accurate within a year without looking like a fool!
    However back to the OP. The jaws have been thrown together so I'm not even going to bother getting my board out for a rough comparison!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baguio View Post
    Slightly harsh me thinks teyhan? I have a jaw board with ages from 6 months to 10 years ish. They all come from the same beat too. Whilst the 10 year old may be 9 or even 11 and the 6 year old may be 5 or 7 there is a definite wear difference and if I shoot something on that beat I would say I could be accurate within a year without looking like a fool!
    However back to the OP. The jaws have been thrown together so I'm not even going to bother getting my board out for a rough comparison!
    Not harsh at all. You have said it yourself, that your jaws come from your beat, move a mile down the road and your jaws mean nothing. Ageing serves no purpose in deer management
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    Not harsh at all. You have said it yourself, that your jaws come from your beat, move a mile down the road and your jaws mean nothing. Ageing serves no purpose in deer management
    Personally I wouldn't go as far as to say ageing serves no purpose in deer management, that is a rather sweeping statement if you don't mind me saying so. However I do agree that the only definite way you can age any beast is by cross section of the teeth, but a jaw board will give you a bench mark also, but not so definitive.

It is also true to say I think that the environment they live in, as in the vegetation and geology of the soil would also play a part in the tooth wear.

Believe it or not their is a method that was being used on fossil teeth that could actually tell what type of food had been eaten, however this was to my knowledge only for extinct carnivores. Whether this can be or has been applied to ungulates is another matter.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Personally I wouldn't go as far as to say ageing serves no purpose in deer management, that is a rather sweeping statement if you don't mind me saying so. However I do agree that the only definite way you can age any beast is by cross section of the teeth, but a jaw board will give you a bench mark also, but not so definitive.

It is also true to say I think that the environment they live in, as in the vegetation and geology of the soil would also play a part in the tooth wear.

Believe it or not their is a method that was being used on fossil teeth that could actually tell what type of food had been eaten, however this was to my knowledge only for extinct carnivores. Whether this can be or has been applied to ungulates is another matter.
    Yes it may be a sweeping statement but I think far too many people get caught in the trap of trying to exactly age an animal.

As I previously said, the only aging should be young, middle aged or old. Given that those assesments have to be made on a live animal in the field, that won't allow a full dental examination before being shot then I have always failed to understand the need to exactly age a deer. The only certainty is that it's not getting any older!!

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    This should be good............

Budge up room for a small one

You can age very accurately up to about 13 months old !!! As for the picture I would say its not old and its not young.