Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPA Woodland Stalker

RPA Woodland Stalker

Hi all,

I have been toying with getting the rifle above and was after the views of individuals that have/had one. Do you suffer accuracy due to the short barrel and do you lose velocity with factory ammo as the powder has less time to burn? I would imagine that with home loads, a fast burning powder would be necessary. Probably go for one in .243w.

I have a .243 and a .308 at the moment and only use them for stalking, mainly less than 150m distance although on occasion I have taken longer shots. Use mainly factory but have started home loading, not very successfully so far!

Regards

Some uncertainty over the legal velocity from that length barrel. That was the main reason I decided against one(and the price).

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    Some uncertainty over the legal velocity from that length barrel. That was the main reason I decided against one(and the price).

Colin, a grey area but I think with home loads it can be overcome!

​not sure what RPA are doing these days!

Hi mate,

No one seems to say many good things about them lately! I'd rather not have to rely on my home loads if I change rifles. If I can find a thumbhole stock for my CZ (.243), I'll keep it.

Why not look at thier longer barrel alternative?

"RPA Thumb Hole Rifle"

K

Fancied a short barrel thumbhole really. Although liked the stock more than the barrel length to be fair. Still pondering.

i'v got a rpa .243 hunter thumb long barrel, its tack driver it comes in at around 8 pound plus glass etc and even with geco 105's it shot a . 5 group yesterday on test at bisley i normly use 85hp's at .5 moa or better so thay are a shooter ,also i just put a hardy G4 mod on mine and also have a newish t8 for it aswell . as you are in essex ,if you wish and have a place to shoot it you are welcome to have a hands on and see it bark.
    Last edited by paul o'; 19-08-2013 at 14:02.

Thanks for the offer and I probably would take you up on it.... Slight issue- out of country for another couple of months, back mid-end Oct. Kind of you to offer though.

no worrys hope your not in a hot place ! but offer still stands if you wish on your return pm me if you still wish i'll give you my email

No experience of RPA but have an 18" barrel on my .308 custom which is a tack driver. Accuracy should not be an issue if well made but velocity may well be and .243 is one of the calibres that suffers significant loss of velocity in a shorter barrel.