Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Red deer rut: north Suffolk/south Norfolk

  1. #1
    Regular Poster KBar1970's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Suffolk [North; where the pines and pigs are]
    Posts
    344

    Red deer rut: north Suffolk/south Norfolk

    Based on the last couple of years, when do folks think the red rut likely to start in north Suffolk/south Norfolk?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by KBar1970 View Post
    Based on the last couple of years, when do folks think the red rut likely to start in north Suffolk/south Norfolk?
    13th october on the button !

    has been for the last 5 yrs i dont see any change at the moment hind numbers are gathering nicely .

    i can only comment on my own ground through .

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by leec6.5 View Post
    13th october on the button !

    has been for the last 5 yrs i dont see any change at the moment hind numbers are gathering nicely .

    i can only comment on my own ground through .
    cant wait! For me it's normally been bubbling up in the last week of September then first and second weeks of October proper......love hearing that first roar, nothing gets the hairs on the back of the neck up quite like it!
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by deerstalker.308 View Post
    cant wait! For me it's normally been bubbling up in the last week of September then first and second weeks of October proper......love hearing that first roar, nothing gets the hairs on the back of the neck up quite like it!

    dont get me wrong i love the roe rut but i loath the weather too bloody hot and sticky . in the red rut , you feel the early frosts and the cool damp in the air and your right the roaring is just an awesome experience .

    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

    please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

  5. #5
    I was sitting in a high seat in Norfolk on 11th October last year exchanging roars with a 20 pointer at a range of 20 yards.

  6. #6
    when the hinds come into season

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    I was sitting in a high seat in Norfolk on 11th October last year exchanging roars with a 20 pointer at a range of 20 yards.
    That must have been wonderful. A good memory is that.

  8. #8
    They were rutting well last year where I went on October 2

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    That must have been wonderful. A good memory is that.
    It made my day, I was told that there was a 16 pointer and 20 pointer that were both off limits but anything else could be taken. I could hear stags roaring in the wood as soon as I got in the high seat, the 16 pointer came out fairly early, presumably pushed out of the wood by the big boy and then when the light had almost gone I saw a few hinds come into the field followed by the 20 pointer. He was magnificent and exchanging roars with him at such close quarters was a magic moment. I put the cross hairs on him and said "bang" and then spent some time wondering what the difference was between doing that and shooting him - apart fom a hole in my bank balance!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by paul k View Post
    I put the cross hairs on him and said "bang" and then spent some time wondering what the difference was between doing that and shooting him
    A mistake I made was fencing a few acres and putting some reds and sika on the ground. Now I spend most of my time just observing them and have no interest in going stalking at all really. It is just a privilege to be able to be able to watch them from close range.

Similar Threads

  1. Available Red Stag Stalking week - Caithness North Scotland in the RUT.
    By Glen Cadwallader in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 00:17
  2. Swap Red Deer culling in Suffolk (August,September)
    By moses in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2013, 10:40
  3. Wanted Mentor/guidance/experience in north Norfolk, east Cambs or south Lincs.
    By norfolk shooter in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-02-2012, 08:43
  4. Rut starting in Norfolk/Suffolk?
    By deerstalker.308 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-09-2011, 21:23
  5. norfolk red rut
    By leec6.5 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2010, 12:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •