Blackberries

Looking like a bumper year down here.

Just thought you should know!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Looking like a bumper year down here.

Just thought you should know!

K
    Pretty good in Manchester also. I have so far harvested enough for 1doz bottles of bramble whisky, two large summer puddings and a spare couple of pounds in the freezer.

Blackberry jus goes a treat with Muntjac too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Pretty good in Manchester also. I have so far harvested enough for 1doz bottles of bramble whisky, two large summer puddings and a spare couple of pounds in the freezer.
    This sounds interesting, how sit made??

Don't get me going on fruit with meat!!

Each to his own of course but why would anyone wish to consume their pudding with main course?

As for the person who thought it a wheeze to stick pineapple between gammon and egg .......

K

Quote Originally Posted by aaronbott View Post
    This sounds interesting, how sit made??
    +1
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Looks like it will be a bumper harvest down here too.........we picked a few pounds at the weekend so had blackberry and rhubarb crumble for the last 3 nights, but it is early days, most of them are still small and red.

I guess you mean the whisky rather than the summer puddings:

1lb blackberries - making sure that they represent a good mixture of the sweet and the tart.
    1 bottle of the cheapest whisky money can buy (this year - Aldi at 10.50/bottle, if I remember rightly)
    3-4oz sugar, depending on sweetness or otherwise of the blackberries. I tend towards less sugar on the grounds that I can always add a little more before bottling if the stuff is too tart. You can't, however, conveniently take it out if the stuff is too sweet.

Add all together (I put 4x the above in a demijohn), invert gently a few times over a few hours to dissolve the sugar. Put in the cellar and forget until at least the start of the hinds.
    Filter through folded jelly-bags in a funnel, and then through a nylon coffee-filter (if you can be arsed). Taste and add more sugar, if that seems desirable, a teaspoon at a time.

Hey presto! Bottled late summer sunshine against raw freezing larder-ends of days at the hinds.

Ooops - I almost forget: once you've bottled the resulting liquid, the fruit goes into the freezer so that 4-6oz can be added to increase the octane-rating of winter apple crumbles etc. Alternatively, get someone who can bake to incorporate them into a sweet flat spongy cake of he sort that is served at elevensis on shoots. And more: add the boozy brambles (and this is something I can make myself) to baked semolina.

If there are any left by the next summer, they can be mixed with fresh blackberries to make similarly high-octane summer puddings, served with that rather good vanilla-flavoured live joghurt that all the Bolshevieks and social workers round here are talking about.
    Last edited by Dalua; 20-08-2013 at 21:03.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    that would be great with vodka too instead of the whisky I bet!
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    that would be great with vodka too instead of the whisky I bet!
    Yes, and cheap vodka is cheaper than cheap whisky. So are cheap gin and brandy.

The sloes here are not looking particularly good, and if the damsons are not numerous enough to make damson gin, some blackberry vodka might be a substitute.