Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of rear sight from a Blaser R93

Removal of rear sight from a Blaser R93

Can anybody point me in the right direction of how to remove the rear sight of a Blaser barrel.
    As mentioned elsewhere I have the opportunity to buy a barrel that has had the front sight removed and threaded but to get a 'thread protector front sight' is proving more difficult than I thought.
    So now I am considering having the rear sight removed with a view to getting grub screws to fill the holes.
    If the grub screws are going to make the barrel look like a second hand piece of junk then I will have to give this opportunity of a reasonably priced barrel a miss.
    Of course, if anybody knows of a reasonably priced R93 barrel in .308 that has not been shot out or has serious throat erosion, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Can anybody point me in the right direction of how to remove the rear sight of a Blaser barrel.
    As mentioned elsewhere I have the opportunity to buy a barrel that has had the front sight removed and threaded but to get a 'thread protector front sight' is proving more difficult than I thought.
    So now I am considering having the rear sight removed with a view to getting grub screws to fill the holes.
    If the grub screws are going to make the barrel look like a second hand piece of junk then I will have to give this opportunity of a reasonably priced barrel a miss.
    Of course, if anybody knows of a reasonably priced R93 barrel in .308 that has not been shot out or has serious throat erosion, I'd appreciate a heads up.
    Angle grinder ??
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Angle grinder ??
    I had my front siight removed from a Styre by Mark Crudgington a few years back and it looked as if he had used one to do the job, so no thanks not again !!!!

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    They are a major bitch to remove with out breaking them. There is a little pin that retains the rear sight. I have had fair luck with clamping the barrel upside down in a vise, in leather or plastic pads of course, let the rear sight just float in the dovetail, rap smartly with a leather or plastic mallet directly on the side of the barrel where the sight is, with luck you will dislodge the retaining pin, and it will fall out the hole in the sight. Of course if the sight base is broken, it is not a big deal, dremel it until you can get the whole thing removed leaving only the threaded pin in the barrel. Then if you can figure out the thread pitch, replace it with a Reknagal all metal rear sight.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    They are a major bitch to remove with out breaking them. There is a little pin that retains the rear sight. I have had fair luck with clamping the barrel upside down in a vise, in leather or plastic pads of course, let the rear sight just float in the dovetail, rap smartly with a leather or plastic mallet directly on the side of the barrel where the sight is, with luck you will dislodge the retaining pin, and it will fall out the hole in the sight. Of course if the sight base is broken, it is not a big deal, dremel it until you can get the whole thing removed leaving only the threaded pin in the barrel. Then if you can figure out the thread pitch, replace it with a Reknagal all metal rear sight.bob.
    Hi Bob,
    I can't make head nor tail of any of that !
    If I clamp the barrel upside down in a vice I cannot see the sight !
    If I clamp it up the correct way there is no sign of pins or a dovetail !
    If I did Dremel it off, I'm not sure what I would find underneath the sight and I want to have a nice smooth underside as I have no intention of fitting another sight.
    I am hoping a gunsmith is going to offer some advice as I have no intention of ruining a 800 barrel

There's a bit on the Blaserbuds forum about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teckel View Post
    There's a bit on the Blaserbuds forum about it.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a check- over.

Just tried to access Blaserbuds web site and it is down or at least my IE cannot find it, yet I had it on my favourites list.
    So it seems it is still 'wait out' ;-)
    Last edited by EMcC; 20-08-2013 at 18:43.

Just managed to get on Blaserbuds web site and can now understand what Bob was saying above as it's almost identical to as posted there.
    I must admit I didn't see any pins when I saw the barrel yesterday but I'll go back tomorrow and have a closer look as there is a picture of one on the Blaser buds site showing the pin.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Just managed to get on Blaserbuds web site and can now understand what Bob was saying above as it's almost identical to as posted there.
    I must admit I didn't see any pins when I saw the barrel yesterday but I'll go back tomorrow and have a closer look as there is a picture of one on the Blaser buds site showing the pin.
    sorry ed

i was on line on my htc............stands for (in jockanees) hard ta c it on a wee screen

i cut and pasted it but pressed enter to fast and then went back to work,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Thanks Bob and Teckel,
    I finally got there in the end. I only hope the screw hole doesn't show up too much when I finally get the sight off.