loaders wages

The going rate down here is £60. If you're lucky you can get substantially more. We get £40 for picking up.

Around the 50 to 60 pound for "Stuffing" and usually quite a bit more if "Double Gunning" have had 100 plus.

I used to get£100 per day plus hotel and as much as I could drink and eat. But I was driver as well and guardian of a £100,000 pair of purdys.

Bloody handy getting that envelope back at the hall after 4-5 days away.

A great shame those days are over, the gentlemen I did it for had a major stroke and will never shoot again. The money was handy but watching him shoot was a privilege.

I used to load for a Dukes daughter the pay was rubbish £60 and no tip but I did get an invite to shoot with the family and help towards the 400 birds we shot,loading for guests it was £60 and if you got a tip you were lucky,had a few througout the season like £100 but for a days work and using your own truck and fuel its not a lot of money plus some guns are totally ignorant idiots especially some of the foreign ones.

I have heard of an rich Arab paying his loader in kind with a brand new Range Rover. That is some tip, £70,000+!!!!!

The Arab flew over to shoot, bought a brand new Range Rover from Mayfair, his loader picked him up in it at Heathrow, after the few days shooting the loader drove him back to the airport. The Arab got out the car, loader asked "what shall I do with the car" Arab replied "you keep it"

I believe the loader used the car for a few weeks and then sold it for the best part of £50,000. All in a days work.

Cheers

Last edited:
Don't forget the pair of Holland and Holland and the £2,500 in an envelope + plus his wife was put up in a top class hotel for the week as well .
All the loader was asked to do was not drink in that week of loading

As to the original question as far as the tax man is concerned loading would be considered as self employment.

Stricktly speaking you should keep accounts and pay tax on your earnings , however you can also claim for all sorts of expenses, clothing use of vehicle any other equipment you need secifically to do the job ,so unless you are loading a great deal it is unlikely you would be eligable for tax.

Don't forget the pair of Holland and Holland and the £2,500 in an envelope + plus his wife was put up in a top class hotel for the week as well .
All the loader was asked to do was not drink in that week of loading

I only got 2300 pounds, Sika No1 did you trouser my other 200quid !!!!!!

The going rate this year seems to be 70 basic plus tip for grouse. Normally looking at 90-140 plus as many shells you can get away with. Loading all last week and on this week. Worked out at 95 a day. Estate or agents generally set the wage which is all paid as a tip.

Hi Pigeon man,

We get £70 (min set by agent) for a days loading ( stuffing or double gunning) which is in the from of a tip from the gun. Quite often we get more but that is at the discretion of the gun. From HMRC's perspective it doesn't make any difference whether payment comes in the form of a tip or is paid by the estate, you should still declare it as earnings. Unlike beating however, loading and picking-up are classed as 'self employed' by HMRC and as such you can claim expenses for travel, clothes etc.

Willie

Last time I paid it was £75 a day plus tip, had a great loader and we had a real laugh during the day with him ribbing me for missing, and me him for not being quick enough, I went back the following year and asked for the same guy and it just carried on from the previous year, sadly not going back this year as I cant put the team together. For me his knowledge and company was a really big part of the day.

Back