Thread: my fave 155gr smk load

my fave 155gr smk load

I thought I would have a plink without my muzz brake as its away with my mod and rifle being rebarrelled, this ammo has cloverleaf at 200yds, it shot bloody awful without the brake, I didnt realise its would make such a difference

It shouldn't make much of a difference to accuracy at all.
    No offense but you'll probably find it's down to flinching.
    If you shoot with a mod or brake on all the time, you become less recoil tolerant, that's why many RFD's I know keep a boomer around just to get them suitably shell shocked and ready when a customers light sporting, heavy recoiling monster needs testing & rough zeroing.

Quote Originally Posted by Orvil View Post
    It shouldn't make much of a difference to accuracy at all.
    No offense but you'll probably find it's down to flinching.
    If you shoot with a mod or brake on all the time, you become less recoil tolerant, that's why many RFD's I know keep a boomer around just to get them suitably shell shocked and ready when a customers light sporting, heavy recoiling monster needs testing & rough zeroing.
    Or it's a matter of barrel harmonics?~Muir

I like the kick of the rifle.i would like all big cals but no need for them.338 lap mag would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    I like the kick of the rifle.i would like all big cals but no need for them.338 lap mag would be nice
    Couldn't agree more!
    Out of interest, what make's your rifle?

If you can rule out "you" per se, the 155 SMK cannot really go tits in a 308. It's such a forgiving calibre/bullet combo that works right across the rev range.
    I've done tests with the same rifle, bare, with a muzzle brake and with a mod to see first hand the effects of barrel "attachments" in different calibres including 308 with SMK's and I've never had one exhibit your problem of turning from tack driver to shotgun.
    When you say the groups went tits, what size of group did you have before and what size did you get now?

It went from touching bullets at 200yds too over 2 inches at 100yds, will post a target later of 200yd group

155gr smk 4 shot group at 200yds, target on its side, photo needs rotating so holes are low right, not sure why picture ends up on its side grrrr
    Last edited by swarovski; 25-08-2013 at 11:29.