Advice req'd on moderator

Just do what BunnyDoom says in post #22

Some folk spend far too much time worrying about the minutae (is that the right word?) of all the rules and regs, when they'd be better off outdoors enjoying some shooting!

you misquote the letter, it states parts FOR, not parts OF. This significantly changes the meaning, as a sound moderator for a firearm is clearly a part FOR a firearm. If it had said part OF a firearm then yes you might argue that it was intended to mean only built in moderators.

Goodness! Well spotted, though actually, the bit of the letter I quoted is the bit in quotation marks, and is an accurate quotation.

You're right, of course, at 'for' and 'of' do not mean the same thing; but in this case it makes no difference, as moderators of the kind we're discussing are not any kind of a part of or for any firearm: they are items that may be used as accessories to various kinds of firearms (including air weapons).

My understanding of a 'part' of a firearm, in the sense of a component part, is that it is something without which the firearm will not work properly. The moderator on my Hushpower gun would, if removed, make the gun impossible to use safely on account of the barrel-porting; I think that therefore that mod is perhaps a part of the gun.

The law also says "accessory" to such a firearm. The word component would apply to integral sound moderators.

I would suggest that your "solicitor" analogy is somewhat different to written advice from the Home Office who are after all the government department responsible for firearms legistlaton, the Police and the CPS.

It would be a foolhardy DPP to instruct the Crown to prosecute against written advice issued by the Crown.

As requested, here is the letter:

Reference: T18837/12 20 December 2012

Dear

Thank you for your e-mail of 12 December in which you sought clarification as to whether a sound moderator unattached to a section 1 firearm is controlled under the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended).

Although not specifically defined by name in the Act it is the view of the Home Office that sound moderators and suppressors intended for use as parts for either a section 1 or section 5 firearm are subject to section 1 licensing controls and a firearm certificate would be required to manufacture, possess, purchase or acquire them.

Further advice relating to section 1 firearms licensing control and firearms certificates may be obtained from your local police Firearms Licensing Department.

I hope that this deals satisfactorily with your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

I Newman

Ian uses the term intended, this is laymans terms for designed and the act takes precendent over an advisory letter.

Ian uses the term intended, this is laymans terms for designed and the act takes precendent over an advisory letter.

Tell me your pulling my leg, even my pal Dalua wouldn't try and convince me that intended meant the same as designed. I may be an uneducated farm layman but even my humble education taught me they have different meanings.

Back