Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how long before gralloch

how long before gralloch

Lets say you were in a fairly busy high seat. You shoot a beast but dont want to make a disturbance cleaning out the deer as you may ruin the chance of another shot. What is the maximum amount of time you could leave a dead beast before gralloching? Assuming the meat would enter the food chain.
    Based on a good heart lung shot if that makes any difference
    You may or may not retrieve the beast depending on its location

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    Lets say you were in a fairly busy high seat. You shoot a beast but dont want to make a disturbance cleaning out the deer as you may ruin the chance of another shot. What is the maximum amount of time you could leave a dead beast before gralloching? Assuming the meat would enter the food chain.
    Based on a good heart lung shot if that makes any difference
    You may or may not retrieve the beast depending on its location
    I would be interested to hear what the experts think, but I always gralloch straight away.
    I would not think the risk of the meat spoiling is worth the possibility of a second shot.
    I would rather leave them be and return another day. Just my personal view though

Perceived Best Practice aside the choice remains that of the risk of gassing or fly contamination from an open carcass if left unattended.

I've always thought there is a judgement call to be made in the hotter months that will be greatly influenced by experience, location and equipment.

Not specific to the question but if you have no choice but to drag a carcass over Highland ground including bog or burn which approach would result in less contamination? Of course in the so-called bad old days you simply hung the carcass in the FC larder and gave it a thorough blasting with a hose to get the crud out.

K

If you're in a fairly busy high seat I think the shot, retrieval and gralloch won't make too much difference and certainly not worth pushing any limits just for another shot unless you are talking about such quantity of deer that more than one shot can be taken within minutes.

You are always risking the second shot to be a runner which might take an hour or more of tracking. What do you do? You should go and find the wounded animal of course but at the expense of leaving the first one to spoil?

Take one thing at a time. Have respect for the dead animal, go and get it make sure it's dead and treat it properly. Hang it under your highseat in a fly net and get back up there for the next one if you choose. If there are deer in the vicinity they will return.

Others may disagree but I know what I'm more comfortable with.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

If I could see the beast was dead from my position I would leave if for about 20 minutes maximum if I couldnt see the animal I would follow it up straight away,its no good leaving it for 20 minutes only to find it takes another thirty to find it by which time the gas has built up and the gralloch becomes a lot more interesting.while its alive its deer when its dead its venison.

Personally I see no immediate rush. You would wait for a while anyway to ensure the animal has expired properly and the carcass would only spoil badly if you had struck it too far back.

30 minutes max, less in hot weather.

I think it is about treating the deer with respect and therefore you should follow up immediately if you can see it is definitely dead or after 10 minutes if it needs time to succumb. You have already disturbed the area by your shot anyway. Waiting 30 minutes then going would probably re-disturb the area just when the deer are starting to move about again.

The old adage 'a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush' or something like that....

​Mulac

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    If you're in a fairly busy high seat I think the shot, retrieval and gralloch won't make too much difference and certainly not worth pushing any limits just for another shot unless you are talking about such quantity of deer that more than one shot can be taken within minutes.

You are always risking the second shot to be a runner which might take an hour or more of tracking. What do you do? You should go and find the wounded animal of course but at the expense of leaving the first one to spoil?

Take one thing at a time. Have respect for the dead animal, go and get it make sure it's dead and treat it properly. Hang it under your highseat in a fly net and get back up there for the next one if you choose. If there are deer in the vicinity they will return.

Others may disagree but I know what I'm more comfortable with.
    Well put , i have quete often given it 30 mins then get down and deal with your animal , a simple fly net is a good investment for the summer also

I would say best practice is a very good guide here 10 minutes to make sure the animal is completely dead keep looking for signs of life during this time. Then go and make your deer ready for the food chain.