Thread: Anyone know

Anyone know

I want to put some General Grabber AT tyres on my Shogun but they do not make them in 285 x 55 x18 but closest the do is 285 x 60 x 18
    Would it be ok to change the profile from 55 to 60 ?

As long as you have the clearance there should be no problem. It might affect your speedo but I believe this would be less than 1% so not much to worry about.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

As above check clearance, may affect on full lock.
    My Hilux will take 65 profile tyres but I put 70 profiles on it (17") and they rub the under arches on full lock. But the scraping gets less as the tyres & arch liners wear out.

The 60 series tyre would be about 30mm greater in diameter than your 55 series as fitted at the mo which would equate to your speed of 74/75mph for a speedo reading of 70mph.

I agree with both of the above. I went bigger and they rub and they also affected my speedo about 5mph. (actually making it spot on!!)

Quote Originally Posted by hogey View Post
    I want to put some General Grabber AT tyres on my Shogun but they do not make them in 285 x 55 x18 but closest the do is 285 x 60 x 18
    Would it be ok to change the profile from 55 to 60 ?
    All you need is Pi ......

Rolling Circumference:- 285/55/18 = 2324 285/60/18 = 2410 diff = 86mm

Speedo error @ 70mph the actual speed is 72.6mph - so 3.7% true difference (cumulative mileage will be out to same degree)
    ATB
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

This is quite a handy tool for doing the speedo and outer diameter comparisons....

Tire size calculator

For your sizes...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyre.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	31584

thanks for all the replies.some good technical info there