Staffordshire Firearms Dept.....shotgun renewal

roe2506

Just had a phonecall from the nice polite lady at Staffordshire firearms dept regarding my shotgun renewal. They are now interviewing people over the phone instead of doing a visit. She said my certificate should be with me in a few days.....Good Service yet again.

Mega can of worms!
After all the recommendations following the recent Northumbria case and the greater accountability placed on FEO's, how can Staffordshires procedures be correct. I have no doubt the writer is a person beyond reproach and everything is above board, but how can someone on the end of the telephone be certain all is legal and correct. As a certificate holder I have to say I am worried that these procedures are in place anywhere and what kind of reassurances can be given that all the boxes have been ticked. Would the enquirers report stand up in a court of law or even a coroner's court, I very much doubt it. This smacks of a money saving exercise which would not stand any scrutiny and is therefore worthless. Is this what those who campaigned for more stringent checks, later agreed in parliament, thought they would get as a result of all their grief and hard work. I don't think so. It is all well and good for the time being I suppose, until the wheel comes off!

Mega can of worms!
After all the recommendations following the recent Northumbria case and the greater accountability placed on FEO's, how can Staffordshires procedures be correct. I have no doubt the writer is a person beyond reproach and everything is above board, but how can someone on the end of the telephone be certain all is legal and correct. As a certificate holder I have to say I am worried that these procedures are in place anywhere and what kind of reassurances can be given that all the boxes have been ticked. Would the enquirers report stand up in a court of law or even a coroner's court, I very much doubt it. This smacks of a money saving exercise which would not stand any scrutiny and is therefore worthless. Is this what those who campaigned for more stringent checks, later agreed in parliament, thought they would get as a result of all their grief and hard work. I don't think so. It is all well and good for the time being I suppose, until the wheel comes off!

Lincs want a visit every five years. My FAC and SAC are not coterminous. My SAC was a done deal as my FAC was 14 months later. Ergo, I'm checked every five years.

​Stan

It's certainly less comprehensive than visiting everyone every time, which obviously means that there has to be more an element of risk. But equally you cannot be sure everything is okay by visiting. To put it bluntly, people with mental problems can, especially over the short term to influence someone, appear well. So whilst it may be right to highlight this, before we light the torches and storm the castle, it would be good to know what criteria they use for not visiting. I imagine such a policy will have had a risk assessment done.

On the other hand, is this policy, or is it an FEO cutting corners to catch up on a backlog of work? Answers on a postcard...

Back