Thread: removing the sinue on sirloin

removing the sinue on sirloin

Do you have to remove the white coating/sinue (spelling!!??) Off the back side of the sirloin stake?
    This seems a nigh on impossible task without a filleting knife or do i just need practice. Im quessing it will be very tough or even "curl" when cooked if not removed

I normally lie the sirloin with the sinew side down and run a filleting knife along the whole length of it applying pressure from on top with my other hand. There is a small amount of wastage initially but with practice you can get thinner and more accurate cutting,Mand eventually just the sinew off.
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

As Deer stalker says
    ​Separate a small amount (enough to hold with fingers) of sinew off the meat
    Turn it over so the sinew is on the board
    Place knife flat between sinew and meat
    Pull sinew towards you.

It should just peel off as the pressure of your knife holds the sinew to the board. Prob some you tube shots somewhere

I normally do it the other way up with a flexible blade filleting knife. Make sure it's sharp, run the knife in just under the sinew, across the meat, tilt the blade up slightly and then run it down the length of the meat. Go back to the other end and trim off the bit still joined.

You might need to trim any bits you missed off but I find I get better control and don't cut into the meat so much doing it this way.

Here's a video, watch from 3.20 onwards for the sirloin part.

Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post
    I normally do it the other way up with a flexible blade filleting knife. Make sure it's sharp, run the knife in just under the sinew, across the meat, tilt the blade up slightly and then run it down the length of the meat. Go back to the other end and trim off the bit still joined.

You might need to trim any bits you missed off but I find I get better control and don't cut into the meat so much doing it this way.

​This is how I do it too

Please have a read of this and I hope you will take some god from it.I would be happy for the Admin team to PIN this thread as I feel it would definitely help some people.......

Step by step guide to butchering a deer.................

Quote Originally Posted by re'M'ington View Post
    Please have a read of this and I hope you will take some god from it.I would be happy for the Admin team to PIN this thread as I feel it would definitely help some people.......

Step by step guide to butchering a deer.................
    Thanks Martin, I've moved it into this section and stickied it!

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianC View Post

+1 Same way for me too.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

This was the question, i was going to ask tonight after butchering the animal earlier today, wish there was a magic machine out there that did it perfectly?

Just use a blody sharp knife and dont worry about taking off a little too much meat! It just takes practice and a good knife..