Do you eat squirrels

Yep. First mouthful of meat my daughter sank her milk teeth into was finely chopped squirrel. Wasn't planed for future shock value just happened that way.

Damn fiddly to get off the bone but well worth it when cooked as per the Floyd recipe I put up here recently.

Nothing like rabbit.

K

Yes have done, only ever used the back end, as I recall there's a recipe called Brunswick stew. Good eating really if you consider what they eat.

Yes. Having it tonight in a mixed stew sort of thing with rabbit and pheasant.
My wife's experimental recipe. Should be good.

​Richard

Yes, if it is fresh shot that day, I have and would. I like mine grilled. Wrap each part (four x legs + saddle) in slice of bacon. Grill five minutes, turn, grill ten minutes, turn again grill for final five minutes. Very nice. Or omit the bacon and instead smother in a whole grain mustard and bake.

Yes, if it is fresh shot that day, I have and would. I like mine grilled. Wrap each part (four x legs + saddle) in slice of bacon. Grill five minutes, turn, grill ten minutes, turn again grill for final five minutes. Very nice. Or omit the bacon and instead smother in a whole grain mustard and bake.

Sounds good. Shall try that.

Yep, back legs and loin, egged and floured, fried with a hazlenut based dip and a chilli dip.

Have done but not any more ...

Grey squirrels are known to carry rabies (there was a well publicised case in the US last autumn) and murine typhus, they are also known reservoir hosts for bubonic plague, all these are notifiable diseases in the UK.

Grey squirrels can also carry encephalomyocarditis, toxoplasmosis, tularemia, leptospirosis and ringworm, all of which are transmissible to humans.

They can also carry endemic relapsing fever & western encephalitis, however both these are rare in Britain and Europe.

More than enough grounds for the re-establishment of a 'national cull'. :lol:

Yes I have tried it and fed it to my family - it was perfectly delicious. And, by the way, if you want to know how they taste? NUTTY!

Have done but not any more ...

Grey squirrels are known to carry rabies (there was a well publicised case in the US last autumn) and murine typhus, they are also known reservoir hosts for bubonic plague, all these are notifiable diseases in the UK.

Grey squirrels can also carry encephalomyocarditis, toxoplasmosis, tularemia, leptospirosis and ringworm, all of which are transmissible to humans.

They can also carry endemic relapsing fever & western encephalitis, however both these are rare in Britain and Europe.

More than enough grounds for the re-establishment of a 'national cull'. :lol:

If you knew what diseases and parasites fish carry you would never eat them or handle them again!!

I eat them, slow cooked in stock then meat flaked off and used in fajitas etc... Really nice. Pain in the bum to peel them though.

Buggers to skin, though.

No! Make a circumferential cut around the mid section, take a side in each hand, and pull hard. Guts fall out. Cut off paws and head and detach the entrails. Done. Takes about a minute.

Brine them for a few hours and cook them as you please. We had huge grey squirrels where I grew up. They were my first hunting experience when I was 6 or 7 years old.~Muir

Last edited:
Gents.
If times are so bad you have resorted to eating Rodents i will send out some Tins of Corned Beef for you :D. I have a mate who eats them but he would eat things Jed Clampett would recoil at.

Yorkie.

No! Make a circumferential cut around the mid section, take a side in each hand, and pull hard. Guts fall out. Cut off paws and head and detach the entrails. Done. Takes about a minute.

thats how I do rabbits, except paws and head come off first

Back