Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 243 Rifle Options?

243 Rifle Options?

Just swapped out my 22.250 for a 243 to enable me to be deer legal.

But what rifle to go for? I want to buy once and buy right, but saying that I dont have an endless budget. Ive just picked up a Zeiss Duralyt to pop on the top.

Currently looking at Tikka T3 vs Howa 1500. Stuck between the practicality of a synthetic stock and a pretty grey laminated stock. Set on a stainless action and barrell.

Now a few people have thrown the M595 into the mix! Dont know much about them - did prefer a newer gun, but people seem to highly rate the M595 action? How easy is an aftermarket laminated stock for one of these if I go that way?

Adam

595 gets my vote every time, had 4 over the years and just rebarreled one in 243 with a nice heavy sporter barrel. Check out Boyds or try one of the home grown laminate stock makers here.

Thats what I keep hearing about the M595 - havent seen a bad word on them yet!

I'll need to see one in the flesh - so forgive my ignorance, but why are they so good, and better over a T3?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam f View Post
    Thats what I keep hearing about the M595 - havent seen a bad word on them yet!

I'll need to see one in the flesh - so forgive my ignorance, but why are they so good, and better over a T3?
    The 595 was a workhorse, a little less finesse than the Sako but just as accurate and considerably less expensive. Then came alone the T3 which are all based on long actions and in my opinion made to a budget, however they do shoot. I like many prefer the 595 over the T3 and the same for the Sako 75 over the 85. It would appear as always that the accountants are in charge of building rifles, anything to cut costs I guess.

IMHO ..The best thing to do is do a bit of travelling and visit a few gunshops. Handle their rifles and find one that really feels "right" then if it's not in the right chambering look for a rifle of that make and model that is in .243.

Keep an open mind when doing so and see where it leads you.

Thanks all.

I'll get out and handle a few in the next few weeks.

Like you I was initially keen on a new rifle (at least you know its history and its unlikely to have problems that might occur due to misuse/overuse),
    but when i went looking at the rfd I fell in love with a Sako 75. Lovely looking rifle, only problem was the rifle had various deep seated issues that only cropped up after trying to get it zero'd etc.
    Went back to shop for a refund and got a new t3. Wish I had done that to begin with as its a fantastically accurate rifle and a pleasure to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by palmer_mike View Post
    Like you I was initially keen on a new rifle (at least you know its history and its unlikely to have problems that might occur due to misuse/overuse), but when i went looking at the rfd I fell in love with a Sako 75. Lovely looking rifle, only problem was the rifle had various deep seated issues that only cropped up after trying to get it zero'd etc. Went back to shop for a refund and got a new t3. Wish I had done that to begin with as its a fantastically accurate rifle and a pleasure to shoot!
    "Various deep seated issues" Sounds a bit suspect, what did you encounter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    "Various deep seated issues" Sounds a bit suspect, what did you encounter?
    POI kept changing after zeroing. Normal check all screws etc tight then zero (which produced very nice groups!)
    After another 6 or so shots the groups wouls spread alarmingly. We eventually realised that the action was now moving in the stock so much that the barrel was touching the channel. Tightened up the action screws again and the problem repeated after half a dozen or so shots.

Took rifle back to shop and was told that they wanted to locktight the screws to fix the problem (i wasn't happy with this as a solution), they then agreed to send the rifle to a smith to check it over.

It returned a few days later with a note that he had taken the action out of the stock checked it all out re-assembled it and fired test group which showed there was no problem.

I was happy at this point but a but puzzled, so took the rifle away again. Got to a range a couple of days later and suprise suprise the same thing happened again.

This proble was witnessed by two experienced stalkers who are on this site (i wont name them as i havent asked their permission).

I then took the rifle back and got a refund (i was supprised that the shop were good enough to replace the used ammo as well).

I heard later from some one else that they had seen the rifle for sale again in the shop after i had taken it back (maybe the problem had been fixed - maybe the action screws had just been nipped up a bit, who can say).

T3 is an extremely good rifle for the price. Yes, it's made to a budget, and isn't the prettiest one out there. And it does suffer because they've generalised so many parts over so many calibres (so the .222 is the same weight and action length as the .308).

But it's as accurate as most of us are ever likely to need, it has a very smooth bolt (far more so than many premium rifles I've tried), and it inspires confidence.

It is very much the unglamorous Ford Focus of rifles, and I'm very happy indeed with mine.