cheap cost effective rifle rest

bobjs

made this last week for use on the estate truck.

sat at home babysitting and knocked this up out of a few dods of copper pipe some plumbing solder and a old floor lifting double sucker thing.

i wish i had the alloy sucker thing as thats a cracking tool but they cost about £60,

but this works on the estate 4x4 and its just a wee bit of fun.

bob.

Looks good Bob, I have one but the bloody thing is not so great as it keeps slipping off the door. Now assigned to the not used pile.

I've been using similar for about a year, had problems with bracket coming off as well, so I cut a piece of plastic pipe then bent it U shaped attached to uprights with jubilee clips and hangs over door so if it does come off it doesn't hit the ground. Also cut a glass lifter in two screwed a piece of dowel in stuck it to windscreen and mounted lamp on that easy to operate on your own.

I bought something very similar to that off arthur carter and it was *****. Flimsy and fell off door once at a critical time. Sent it right back.
Will put some pics up later of what i use now. Easily home made for next to nothing and works a treat

The double sucker is ok Bob, but a treble is better as it stops the door skin flexing.
Yes I found out the hard way. Lol
If you have a word with a windsreen fitter you may just be able to liberate a 3 head one with
flexi links so no matter the profile of the car/truck door they sit flat and solid.

Neil. :)

The double sucker is ok Bob, but a treble is better as it stops the door skin flexing.
Yes I found out the hard way. Lol
If you have a word with a windsreen fitter you may just be able to liberate a 3 head one with
flexi links so no matter the profile of the car/truck door they sit flat and solid.

Neil. :)

Hi neil

thats not a bad idea,

I knocked it up for the disco on the estate and its ok but could have been better, not bad for a first attempt, and you are right about the door metal flexing problem so may look at that as a main issue.

bob.

Better still Bob buy a couple of magnets from the bay of evil for about £4 each and use those instead of the suckers.
I found mine a lot better after replacing the suckers. The L200 spends the majority of its time with a layer of mud on it and you never seem to get a good suck (oooer vicar!)

in edit: I forgot to add, always use a retaining strap around both legs then around your door just in case whatever mechanism you use fails!!! Also forgot to add Wayne (Mereside) made mine and it has everything adjustable...very good quality

Last edited:
Back