Thread: how to fit optilocks

how to fit optilocks

gents,

need to fit some optilocks to my sako tomorrow. never used them, believe it or not, what is the process (if anything 'special'), and which way should the bases be pointing? google images show them both pointing backwards, but some also have them pointing back for the rear one and forwards for the forward one...

thanks chaps

​P

they are pretty straight forward , (unless ive got it wrong) the rings fit to the bases by a screw underneath the base , then the bases fit to the rifle ,they are taperd ,so can only go from the back and push forward ,the one nearest to your eye has a peg on the base wich slots into the rail , so basicly you fit the bottom half of the scope ring to each base , fit each base to the rail , then put your inserts on your scope and fit your scope and put the top half of the scope rings on , atb arron.

thanks arron.

the front base is not tapered though..would that normally be pointing forwards or backwards,,,or should it just be positioned to allow the scope to fit right in terms of tube allowance to eye relief?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    thanks arron.

the front base is not tapered though..would that normally be pointing forwards or backwards,,,or should it just be positioned to allow the scope to fit right in terms of tube allowance to eye relief?
    On a tikka or sako ?
    Tikka are parallel dovetails, sako are tapered front and rear, if a sako, do NOT push all the way forward, or it will fire very far to the right, just have them on the edge of the loading port.

Regards
    ​Pete

​also, both screws for the base clamps go to the right as you hold the rifle. If you are still unsure, pm your mob no, and I'll send you pics.
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Make sure when you screw the bases to the rings they are on a flat surface, otherwise they can be off and behave oddly. Mine face opposite ways but that's the only way they fit

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    On a tikka or sako ?
    Tikka are parallel dovetails, sako are tapered front and rear, if a sako, do NOT push all the way forward, or it will fire very far to the right, just have them on the edge of the loading port.
    SNIP
    The front mount is supposed to go along the middle of the rail for zero windage adjustment. Moving forward towards the muzzle will bring the POI to the right, back towards the butt will move the POI left.

Quote Originally Posted by Guesty View Post
    The front mount is supposed to go along the middle of the rail for zero windage adjustment. Moving forward towards the muzzle will bring the POI to the right, back towards the butt will move the POI left.
    I never knew this!

Always assumed the front dovetail and mount was symmetrical?

Must admit, I've always put the front base flush with the ejection port just because when I've got the scope adjusted for comfortable eye relief for me it looks right and roughly central on the front half of the scope. One scope is adjusted to the right on zero, but the other is pretty much central...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	31786Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	31787

As for direction, it depends on what the rifle is chambered for.... short action and long action the front base go different ways....

Here's how I've got my .243 (short action) and .30-06 (long action) set up...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	329.8 KB 
ID:	31785

Sako specs shows mounting direction....

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/Optilockbase.pdf

Just be aware that the screw heads occasionally seem to be made of hard cheese. They love to strip with normal pressure. More annoyingly one or two out of eight do it with the same apparent torque.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I've tried extended, long, short bases and all in one ringmounts on Sako long, short and micro actions and it seems that it is the relative position of the base securing bolt that determines whether the base is fore or aft.
    If I can work out how to get my phone working I'll post images of optically centred scopes on long actions.