Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Will she steady down?

  1. #1

    Will she steady down?

    I've just had another outing tonight where I spent 3 hours solid correcting my GSP bitch for walking ahead and leaning on the jaeger lead. She is 22 months and still as hyper as ever. She will sit under a high seat no problem but for some reason she stubbornly will keep pushing it when on the jaeger lead, even though she definitely knows what she is supposed to do! She starts off perfectly at heel then gets further and further forward until I have to correct her and it is back to the start again and then start creeping forward etc etc.

    Is she still too young and will steady down of her own accord? I have considered getting her hip scored and unless she gets a near perfect score having her spayed to see if that makes a difference.

  2. #2
    PointBlank

    My GWP is now 36 months old and only beginning to steady where I want him to heel, as opposed to where he wants to be ... so hold your nerve and persevere.

    .308

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 308rws View Post
    PointBlank

    My GWP is now 36 months old and only beginning to steady where I want him to heel, as opposed to where he wants to be ... so hold your nerve and persevere.

    .308
    Cheers mate, I don't know if that makes me feel better or worse

    It is the one stumbling block that makes her a little bit of a hinderance to take out stalking but I am persevering nonetheless

  4. #4
    my gwp is better off the lead than on it, he will heel without any trouble at all, but put him on a lead and he has to pull, Ive tried every trick in the book but he justs keep creeping forward when on a leash!!
    Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post
    my gwp is better off the lead than on it, he will heel without any trouble at all, but put him on a lead and he has to pull, Ive tried every trick in the book but he justs keep creeping forward when on a leash!!
    Paul
    We have tried every trick as well and we have got her good on the normal leash when out for a walk but as soon as we are out stalking she starts pulling again. I think it is a lot to do with the excitement of it and she wants to be hunting everything, another thing is when you try to slow down and creep around the corner she is desperate to look around it first.
    I take her out everytime but sometimes I think should I leave her back home as I'd probably have more chance of getting on the deer!

  6. #6
    Can I recommend trying this



    It stopped my cocker pulling within 1 minute.
    Last edited by Eyefor; 24-08-2013 at 09:18.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

    "HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).



  7. #7
    Kevin, my wire would do the same if I let him. It's excitement! Make sure he heels and only advance when he's in the correct position! You can also tire him out prior to stalking with him! Not very practical but makes training easier.

  8. #8
    There is no trick to heal work just consistent training and correction. I use my small stick and if the dog try,s to pass it gets a very quick whip with the word,s heal. It doesn't take long before the dog realises that there is a line that it must not pass. Were you put that line is up to you behind along side or slightly ahead (The one i prefer). Good luck with the dog and make sure the training is consistent with what you want don't settle for half way or you will end up with a half trained dog.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Kevin, my wire would do the same if I let him. It's excitement! Make sure he heels and only advance when he's in the correct position! You can also tire him out prior to stalking with him! Not very practical but makes training easier.
    I wish there was a way to tire her out! She could go for a ten mile walk and still come back bouncing like tigger.

    Like I said we are nearly there with the heal on the lead, it's just a problem when out stalking. To give her credit she is good most of the time but guaranteed she will be a pain at the most awkward time.
    Last edited by PointBlank; 24-08-2013 at 12:13.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    There is no trick to heal work just consistent training and correction. I use my small stick and if the dog try,s to pass it gets a very quick whip with the word,s heal. It doesn't take long before the dog realises that there is a line that it must not pass. Were you put that line is up to you behind along side or slightly ahead (The one i prefer). Good luck with the dog and make sure the training is consistent with what you want don't settle for half way or you will end up with a half trained dog.
    This is what we have done in the past but she is pretty stubborn and doesn't take her long to "forget" where she should be.

Similar Threads

  1. Be more steady
    By Mannlicher_Stu in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2013, 08:40
  2. For Sale Steady Pod Stick
    By Fenlander in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-07-2012, 16:12
  3. Fallow doe and a steady dog
    By cockerdog in forum Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-06-2012, 19:44
  4. How to keep the rifle steady when zeroing/load testing?
    By .Skinner. in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 20-04-2012, 12:10
  5. Steady now pup
    By mickthebrick in forum Deer Dogs & Tracking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-06-2009, 11:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •