My Home Made High Seat

Lloyd90

So have been planning on knocking up a high seat after getting a lot of activity on my ground.

So far I have done quite well ( I think so anyways )

I had a good sized aluminium ladder for free (Off of Swisher44 on here) he is also a top bloke and took me out for a stalk aswell, cheers mate
:)
I had a carrying trolley for free off one of the lad's down the market that he didn't need as it had a wheel missing.

I then actually had to buy some stuff :doh: lol ... I bought a rod of threaded bar for about £4 , some nuts and bolts and a drill bit for steel. All in it's cost me less than £10 easily. Here's what I have so far ...

This is the ladder turned upside down so as to test putting weight on the "seat"

24x4axe.jpg

I then added a wooden seat bolted through the steel plate to have more room to move around whilst getting into it. It's not a lot easier

zmntpt.jpg

After this I unbolted it and flipped it round the right way

3022el5.jpg
5akkr6.jpg

HOWEVER - I now require some advice if possible .

1 - What is the best way to put a sort of mid level rest on it like you see on convention high seats ?
2 - What's the best stuff to paint an aluminium ladder and powder coated trolley with so it blend's into woodland's ?

Regards - Lloyd

It certainly doesn't look very comfortable, plus a bit top heavy.:confused:
I would imagine the first thing would be a decent seat ?

A work in progress maybe, but a good starting effort, I also used the lower wider section of a standard Youngerman ally ladder, & then welded up some lightweight plate sockets to suit the top parts of the ladder stiles, then welded those onto a seat knocked up from the scrap bin, had a mate dip it in the galv pot, it is easily carried either in two separate portions, or fitted up ready to go over your shoulders (head through rungs), it was excellent for lamping Fox from on a heavily housed / populated area, but failed the test of having the arse end of a few bloodstock using it to scratch on, (Bent the bloody ladder!):doh: I'll stick on a piccy if I can sort it.

No Blue Peter Badge from me, sorry...

Looks about the most awful thing I ever seen...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if Lloyd likes it there you go and if it works even better. Personaly I prefer something of a more comfortable nature. The old ass does not take to kindly to single planks these days.

Some comedy replies. :rofl: ... As much as I'd love to go out and spend a few hundred quid on a top of the range seat I am on a budget. The seat is still a work in progress. Have cut the trolley in half and painted the ladder.

​just need to build some sort of rifle rest

If it gets you in the right place to shoot deer i couldn't give a monkeys fart what it looks like! Well done!

If it gets you in the right place to shoot deer i couldn't give a monkeys fart what it looks like! Well done!

This was my thought from the outset mate. I'm sure a custom built rifle would also look lovely, but my standard CZ 550 in 243 drops them just fine for me :thumb:
Now does anyone have any idea on a rifle rest ? lol

Work is ongoing. Some sawing and paint has made good progress so far.

2uqlsmd.jpg

An improvement from the last state it was.

2d15lx2.jpg

mt5ddu.jpg

I also have got hold of and cut to size some steel bars that will be welded on to make a rest around the seat. Just waiting for this weekend when my cousins boss gets back off holiday to hopefully do the welding.

Some comedy replies. :rofl: ... As much as I'd love to go out and spend a few hundred quid on a top of the range seat I am on a budget. The seat is still a work in progress. Have cut the trolley in half and painted the ladder.

​just need to build some sort of rifle rest
£20 quid of 4x2 rough sawn down the timber yard and you could build something decent in a couple of hours, that doesn't strain your ******** off moving......

I will say this LLoyd - sometimes it is necessary to sit in a high seat for maybe 3 - 4 hours and to achieve this, the watchword is comfort. It could be that your finished high seat is being designed to be used on the day and removed on the day. If this is the case, then you are on the right track. However, if your high seat is intended for more permanent placement, all I would say is that for as little as £30 you can make one in treated wood that will last years.

I used to make them for friends at cost (cos I'm retired!) This is a photo of the one in my garden made from 2x1 and 3x2 timber that I used to show interested people, that is now over 15 years old - just give it a coat of preservative every 4 years. As you will see it even has hooks on the side to hold your rifle/sling when getting into it. Once you lock yourself into the back rest with your hand under your rifle's forend, it gives great confidence to your shooting - I have shot off high seats with just a rail as a rest and feel that is the same as shooting off the top of a metal farm gate - not for me.[
URL=http://s438.photobucket.com/user/wyndog/media/DSCF0277-1.jpg.html]
DSCF0277-1.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
Dragons Den next. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this is why i love this site yer can bust a gut with laughter everyday.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Back