Fallow

tom

Does anybody know of any pictures of the fallow buck age class ,ie pricket ,sorrel ,sore ,bear buck ,buck etc ,i would like to get hold of some pictures ? Cheers

can you divulge in any ideas why??????
i hav lots of fallow pics of all ages
from a pricket upto an efffing great buck :)

Stone

I like that!

Fallow buck classifications:

1st Year - fawn
2nd Year - pricket
3rd Year - sorrel
4th Year - sore
5th Year - buck of the first head
6th Year - great buck
7th Year - effing great buck
8th Year - socking great buck
9th Year - overdraft buck

:D :D

willie_gunn

WG
missed one out
10th year - buck going back so you can hav it cheap rate :evil:
could not resist :oops:

willie_gunn said:
Stone

I like that!

1st Year - fawn
2nd Year - pricket
3rd Year - sorrel
4th Year - sore
6th Year - great buck

willie_gunn

:lol: :lol: :lol:

willie_gunn said:
Stone

I like that!

1st Year - fawn
2nd Year - pricket
3rd Year - sorrel
4th Year - sore
6th Year - great buck

willie_gunn

Great - now you can help me positively id what class this fellow falls into!

Moose77.jpg

Rgds

Ian ;)

Ian
I think that one would be called a 'divorce' in my house 'cause thats what she would be doing if she found out how much it would of cost :eek:

By the way thats one cracking beast.

Regards

Jonathon

Yes stone , so i can see what each animal looks like , ie a pricket is two spikes ,simple ,but as you progress up through them it gets more complicated , Ian nice fallow was that wild and certainly is an effing big one !!!

I think that you fellows are too preoccupied by antlers - why not classify by body weight? That makes Ian's beast at least a 'slipped disc', maybe edging into 'hernia' category

antlers

Mole, although I potentially agree about antlers I would also be interested to see different ages of animals for a particular area. Up here we seem to see prickets or more mature bucks. Dont ever seem to see what I would class as a sorrel. The mature animals dont really get palmated either. No shovels or paddles like Ians beasty
fallow1-20091017.jpg

I felt blessed to take the above animal last weekend. It has a very good head for our area. However can you tell anything about its age? If left might the next head of been more palmated or is nutrition and genetics more of a factor?

(sorry Tom not trying to hijack your thread)

Shootingdog

I don't want to hi-jack the thread either but had to react to your post.

Can I ask where you are talking about re your area as we have experienced exactly what you experience especially where the big bucks are concerned.

I shot these 2 the other week and in terms of palmation this is about as good as it gets.

This is on our patch in Glos.

FallowrutOct09002.jpg

FallowrutOct09001.jpg

FallowrutOct09006.jpg

Ian congratulations by the way. Tremendous beast. I take it that was fairly recent too?

Cheers SDD

Didn't think you were north at all.

Not sure if I put it down to genetics or over population. Prob the latter. It certainly isn't down to feed but possibly minerals???

Think minerals is a bit of a weak option though. Would be interested to hear anyone else'sopinion on the matter?

Cheers

JB

Ian, where was that monster (beautiful specimen) taken roughly?

Don't forget guys that those terms for age classes in fallow bucks relate to age rather than antlers. I think that it is important to use the old terms and keep them alive. I also use the term Tegg rather than yearling fallow doe in my cull plans and records. JC

jc

jc275

I appreciate what you are saying about age, for the first few years though antler development must give a clue to the age??? I am not experienced with fallow so was curious what a 1, 2, 3 ,4 year old animal might be expected to look like. We shot an animal on the same weekend as my buck which was at least as big and heavy yet had only pricket style antlers which suggests something else is going on

Back