Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travelling with firearms on Lufthansa

Travelling with firearms on Lufthansa

Before I phone the no doubt expensive number to enquire as dates are not firmed up yet I Was wondering if any of the SD collective had flown with Lufthansa to Germany (Frankfurt) with firearms. Am thinking about booking a trip however the online site doesn't seem to give you the option to add baggage other than the standard allowance.

They have in the small print something about additional charges but it seems to contradict itself saying if it is in one bag not exceeding the limit its ok?

Not wanting any nasty/expensive surprises at check in. Will be flying Aberdeen - Frankfurt so even better if someone had experience of this route and experience of collection at the Frankfurt end.

thanks in advance

​Mick

Have done it once only, Budapest to Frankfurt, was an administrive nighmare especailly when the young lady at the end of the phone, was not 100% sure, to what questions she needed to ask. In the end it was the lead of the hunting party in Frankfurt who fixed the issue, they seem to be used to this. There was a charge for the rifle as it was an extra to the suitcase and hand luggage.

Hope that helps.

Just come back with them, not shooting though. I will say that unless Frankfurt is your final destination be wary of their 45 minute allowance to change planes...

I was driving South of Limberg on the E44; never seen so many high seats in the fields. Bambi was also spotted lurking in the shadows, so you won't have far to go if want to do some stalking.

The last time I travelled to Frankfurt with Lufthansa there was a charge of £50 each way for firearms, it was not included in the list of Sporting Equipment.

EMcC, out of interest did you book online or were you stung at the airport for the fee? Also where did you need to go at the terminal in Frankfurt to collect your stuff from?

Thanks Mick

Took a muzzle loader from Munich to Chicago cost me 75 euros eachway for the extra bag but it can go up to the 22kg limit with kit in it also so it was OK.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Mick9abf View Post
    EMcC, out of interest did you book online or were you stung at the airport for the fee? Also where did you need to go at the terminal in Frankfurt to collect your stuff from?Thanks Mick
    I booked on line but got stung for the rifle at the airport. The rifle came round on the carousel in Frankfurt and I declared it but when I started talking to the customs bloke he wasn't interested in seeing the rifle but asked more about calibre and where I was going shooting and how did I find the .308 I was using at the time, on Boar, a real sportsman, but we were speaking in German !!

I am always wary of bookings flights with firearms online and have always done it through an agent - generally they know who to phone at the airlines to ask questions of. Not always though................

Been through Frankfurt a number of times and as Toxter says its a bit of a chore if you are connecting - there are two seperate terminals connected by monorail - changing takes a minute or two.

Per Eddies post I have always found German policemen more interested in the hunting and your rifle than the paperwork - when flying back from Munich having been in Austria a couple of them had a good 'try out' of my 264WM in the departures hall - seemed to think it would be very good for Gemsen!

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I booked on line but got stung for the rifle at the airport. The rifle came round on the carousel in Frankfurt and I declared it but when I started talking to the customs bloke he wasn't interested in seeing the rifle but asked more about calibre and where I was going shooting and how did I find the .308 I was using at the time, on Boar, a real sportsman, but we were speaking in German !!
    Perfect, just the info I was looking for. Thanks Mick

Monorail doesn't work after 10.30 either...

I'm currently chasing then, under EU regs., for c.£500 compensation for missed flight connections (their fault) hence the negativity... I'm sure you'll have a great trip - good luck.