Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom build vs Off the Shelf

Custom build vs Off the Shelf

I'm looking at a new rifle in 308. At the top end i'm considering Sauer, Blaser, Merkel and a few others. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on custom builds. Is there a threshold in the price range when a custom build makes more sense (the trigger, barrel, stock etc..). The off the shelf rifles at the higher level are punchy in price yet are still popular, are there some rules when trying to compare the two. Or does it just come down to personal choice (just would have thought something hand made vs factory built would be somewhat superior)

If you are considering paying for a quality rifle, why not have a custom, or a semi made by a reputable smith, with accompanying proving load development score card.?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    I'm looking at a new rifle in 308. At the top end i'm considering Sauer, Blaser, Merkel and a few others. I wanted to get peoples thoughts on custom builds. Is there a threshold in the price range when a custom build makes more sense (the trigger, barrel, stock etc..). The off the shelf rifles at the higher level are punchy in price yet are still popular, are there some rules when trying to compare the two. Or does it just come down to personal choice (just would have thought something hand made vs factory built would be somewhat superior)
    look at brock and norris ratel rifle thats what ur after

IMO there is no need to even spend money on the makes you mention. Sako, Tikka whether new or 595 models will be every bit as accurate as those other makes.

Or, as you suggest buy an older well used rifle and spend the money on re barreling, stock, bedding etc to your exact specification, weight, length, whatever.

Personally, I would never spend upwards of 2 grand on a rifle off the shelf when for the same or not much more money I can have a bespoke rifle...

Factory rifle vs semi custom build? No contest, semi custom, and wouldn't cost much more than the factory stick.As I've said before, it doesn't have to cost the earth.

Custom or semi custom without a doubt.... But choose your riflesmith carefully.

Regards

​Ed

Quote Originally Posted by N.F.W.M View Post
    Custom or semi custom without a doubt.... But choose your riflesmith carefully.

Regards

​Ed
    and where do you begin when it comes to choosing the right riflesmith?

Have a quick look through old posts in the rifle section.....lots of good advice on who does good work.....you are spoilt for choice.....

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    IMO there is no need to even spend money on the makes you mention. Sako, Tikka whether new or 595 models will be every bit as accurate as those other makes.

Or, as you suggest buy an older well used rifle and spend the money on re barreling, stock, bedding etc to your exact specification, weight, length, whatever.

Personally, I would never spend upwards of 2 grand on a rifle off the shelf when for the same or not much more money I can have a bespoke rifle...
    so what drives the higher end off the shelf market, when there are so many custom options out there? Impatience on getting hold of a new rifle perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    so what drives the higher end off the shelf market, when there are so many custom options out there? Impatience on getting hold of a new rifle perhaps?
    Since you asked the question here is what I think drives them out the door.

Latest must have trend, expense is often mistaken for quality or even necessity, 'my mate has one...', 'must be the best cos' it costs the most...' and lets not forget good old pose value!

Seriously, some of those higher end rifles are nice guns. They shoot well but are generally no more accurate than one costing hundreds or even thousands of pounds less. Having said all that its nice to own nice things.

Custom rifles range from a couple of grand up to 3 or 4 times that. They are not necessary either but again there is an advantage when you can chose the exact specification, dimensions weight and so on. You don't generally get that with an off the shelf rifle costing the same as a custom build on a Sako, Tikka or Remmy...

I am not against things like Sauer, Blaser or Merkel but there is a point with them that you are either paying for a name, over-engineering or cosmetics. None of which in themselves will make it more accurate. I suppose it comes down to what is more important to you???

So many of the custom actions built by engineers for accuracy are still based on a Remmy. Simplest of mechanisms. Two locking lugs! They work, are accurate and all the fancy wood or engraving won't improve that. So, why pay for it? Nice to own nice things or pose value I'm afraid. First reason I understand completely. Pose value I don't...