Thread: Merkel Helix straight pull

Merkel Helix straight pull

Just been reading about the new range of Merkel helix straight pull rifles. look v exciting and a possible competitor to Blaser. Has anyone had any exposure to the range or Merkel in general.

I was down at the skånska game fair yesterday and had a play with the Helix. I'm not easily taken with these modern type weapons but i was taken with the Helix.
    Only one thing i could fault it on and that was the silly small capacity magazine it comes with. As the Helix is made for driven hunting it should come a standard with a larger capacity mag. They had a 7x64 with very good quality wood that was quite something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jagare View Post
    I was down at the skånska game fair yesterday and had a play with the Helix. I'm not easily taken with these modern type weapons but i was taken with the Helix.
    Only one thing i could fault it on and that was the silly small capacity magazine it comes with. As the Helix is made for driven hunting it should come a standard with a larger capacity mag. They had a 7x64 with very good quality wood that was quite something.
    thanks. and how would you compare it to a Blaser for example (assuming you have tried one)

Uh Oh, he mentioned the B word............

I have to say I had the pleasure of handling a merkel for over an hour the other day, and I was extremely impressed, so much so I'm going to buy one myself, it's everything the Blaser should have been, at first it looks ungainly, but the moment you hold it you realise just how wrong that impression is, everything just falls to hand, the action is slick and fast, balance and weight spot on

The award for head above the parapet 2013 goes to... Hangfire

Brave, brave man...

By the way - I agree 100% with what he said!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Down Toby, down. I have shot a Blaser and i admire the quality of them but they don't ring my bell. The Helix i could easily live with. I do have a Merkel combi and a Merkel shotgun. Perhaps a helix would make the complete set.
    Last edited by Jagare; 26-08-2013 at 16:23.

+1 i'v used a blaser for paper shooting and the f3 in clay comps yuc to both forget the mag and you have forgot the trigger assy? no chance to load one shoot one !!

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    The award for head above the parapet 2013 goes to... Hangfire

Brave, brave man...

By the way - I agree 100% with what he said!