Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What lives in your hightower

What lives in your hightower

After returning back home from a very lengthy series of craft fairs and trade shows, I decided to go out with the forester earlier this evening to look around, especially in the high towers as we have a number of them. Am pretty glad we did - in our favourite a hornet decided to nest there and have a large family.

I just found out hornets can sting multiple times due to a lack of barb on the stinger (twice in my case). As the high towers are enclosed, more like high boxes than high seats, the local beekeeper has offered to smoke out the nest for us. From the same person have just learnt WD40 is the best pain suppressant, so out with the germolene - man its really painful to sit down.

Brave man that smokes out Hornets. Wf1

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    In my younger pest control days, I remember one job that involved A large Hornets nest in a bird box.
    After assessing the situation from a distance I geared up in respirator, beekeeper net and the deadly but effective DR5 ( a high pressure pesticide applicator )
    I then ran full pelt at the Hornets DR5 blazing, hit the nest with the lance and then dived in to the nearest bush available while all hell let loose.
    It was like watching the battle of britain with them flying around attacking each other and anything else that moved. I stayed very still until the coast was clear
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

bats in one and a swallow's nest in another.

Hornets, no thanks, sounds very painful!!

I know it's easy to say from the comfort of my hornet-free armchair, but hornets are generally pretty laid back as far as yellow/black stripy stinging things go. You must have really p*ssed them off!

Good reminder.

I get stung every year with wasps and hornets
    yes and this year

they love to make nests in wooden high seats
    old pheasant feeders
    this year in the water bowser.

Pays to do a visual check

Just a word of caution, a few years back I got stung by wasps 6 times in the space of 2 weeks whilst working on the shoot. A month later I got stung again at a friends BBQ and had a serious reaction to the sting. I was told at the time of treatment that your body only has a certain resilience to wasp stings and I had crossed the limit, this obviously varies from person to person so be careful.
    ATB 243 Stalker.
    Last edited by 243 Stalker; 25-08-2013 at 20:59.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by 243 Stalker View Post
    Just a word of caution, a few years back I got stung by wasps 6 times in the space of 2 weeks whilst working on the shoot. A month later I got stung again at a friends BBQ and had a serious reaction to the sting. I was told at the time of treatment that your body only has a certain resilience to wasp stings and I had crossed the limit, this obviously varies from person to person so be careful.
    ATB 243 Stalker.
    One of the reasons I gave up in the end. I found that I was becoming more sensitised to stings as time went on. It was probably only a matter of time until anaphalatic shock got me.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Allergies are a funny thing... with repeated exposure the body can either build up a tolerance or do the exact opposite and build up an extreme intolerance... there is no way to tell which, and it can happen over a very short time period too.

I've been cutting leylandii and I'm sitting here scratching my arms as I seem to have built up a reaction to the sap in the last 5 or 6 years.... never had the problem before then.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Allergies are a funny thing... with repeated exposure the body can either build up a tolerance or do the exact opposite and build up an extreme intolerance...
    I keep bees and am having to come to terms with this.

Last time I was working the hive I received a single sting and within 60 seconds was soaked from head to toe in sweat. My heart rate was racing out of control, I was vomiting and suffering extreme light sensitivity.

I'm not keen on repeating the experience and will probably have to give my bees up....