Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle sling

Rifle sling

I was thinking of getting a new sling, I like the platted bisley type, my question is has anybody had any bad experience with these? Do they squeak? And do they stretch much? Cheers.

Hi there

My personal experience has been that they both squeak and stretch but the effects of both can be reduced by using various dressing products....if you can be bothered .

After years of various slings (canvas, leather, neoprene etc etc) one thing became obvious. Once I had set up the sling for length I never ever adjusted it. Strangely I looked at all the slings I had on my hunting rifles and they were all set to within 5mm of each other - very weird. With this in mind I just chose my material and had a non-adjustable, fixed length, QD swivels stitched in sling made. Dougster on this site did a cracking job and at a good price - first class work and I just love it. Now I find I'm wondering why I waited 30 years to do it.

Hope that helps

FN

Don't waste your money jewfish. Leather does not cut it these days. Buy a Claw sling and you will forget all about leather slings! Leather squeaks and slips off your shoulder after every other step. The Claw is non slip!

Thanks fellas I must admit I do love the leather but maybe the claw might be the way to go.

The mistake made with leather slings is that of width at the shoulder. A wide strap that on the face of it suggests both stability and load shedding actually only achieves the latter unless you install an anti slip device on the shoulder of all stalking jackets.

A narrow section of sling leather or plated multiples thereof is the answer as it 'digs-in' at the critical carrying point. If the former the addition of pin head bridle rubber sewn on the reverse provides the so-called "claw" effect.

Back in the day Armstrong's and/or The Shooting Lodge offered one with this approach but I concede the rubber doesn't like gun oil or solvent and needed replacing every few years once it started to dissolve an migrate onto clothing!

K

It's strange but our fore fathers seemed to manage quite well with leather slings in all weathers and climates. I wonder what they did right that we modern shooters are doing wrong?

I have just sold a quality leather sling with the quick release steel clips for use on the British sling eyes found on stalking rifles back then. The sling complete with it leather covered buckle fitted the old BSA and Rigby Mannlicher well as it did the Swinburns Patent sporting Martini before it. The sling needed to be easily detachable for following up wounded beats in thick brush where the sling could get snagged at just the wrong moment.

where has class gone these days!..why not just bring a microwave into the field to heat up your cuppa soup too..with a solar powered charger....rant over.

long and short...leather all the way, despite XYZ, it's nice, looks good, lasts, and has class.

dos't your truck 240v power mine has a 1500 watt inverter fitted hot and cold fan's for dogs and 4way gang outlets for power tools ! and the ding works just fine and the lecky kettle ?
    but on the slings side, i'v been trying to find an old type with a thum hole ! i'v got lots of rubber and old school slings but would like a 70's type one .
    ps: most of the class as you say are at the back of my truck heating up their pie's on a shoot day

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    where has class gone these days!..why not just bring a microwave into the field to heat up your cuppa soup too..with a solar powered charger....rant over.

long and short...leather all the way, despite XYZ, it's nice, looks good, lasts, and has class.
    Last edited by paul o'; 27-08-2013 at 11:56.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    I've been trying to find an old
    type with a thumb hole !
    You don't need a thumb to click on this Mr. O:-

http://www.singletreeleather.com/rifle_slings.html

K

yee gods i know i like me toys but yeehaa partner i don't like that type at all ? that gloss yuc and i know my name lol , i just wish an old school no fuss one as long as its still in good order it will do