Custom build Roe Sack

Tackleberry270

I have been on a search for a Roe sack for some time now. I admit I am pretty fussy and I wanted something that is rugged, hard-waring, comfortable both pre and post stalk, for long and short hikes whilst being aesthetically pleasing with a traditional look. I have had a good look and trialled quite a few from cheaper to the more expensive commonly available german ones but I have been disappointed with either build quality, cheap looking materials or both.

Having narrowed down my search of the readily available sacks to either a Poppins or Monarch I felt they were still short of what I wanted. Poppins has the traditional look and uses quality materials but lacks back support. Monarch has the right idea with some back support in the form of a belt and nice big pockets but uses synthetic canvas which makes it look cheap (in my opinion).

Being a creative type I started thinking if there would be a way of making one myself. It has taken me about 4 months and a few time consuming mistakes but the following is the result.

IMG_0360.jpgIMG_0366.jpgIMG_0362.jpgIMG_0364.jpgIMG_0365.jpg

Put together and painstakingly hand-stitched from some of my issue kit that have sat unused in cupboards for years. It utilises the back and shoulder straps from a bergen (including metal frame). The second photo shows the the metal frame in use and the last 3 show how compact it can be if I choose to take it out.

Now all it needs is a proper field test.

If the heavy duty shoulder and waist straps prove to much for my short woodland forays then I might make a poppins style one.

Part2

Got out on the ground this evening and had a mooch through the woods including some slow stalking in a bit of dense woodland. It was noticeable by comparision to some of the light canvas/loden traditional designs but it was still comfortable. The shoulder straps were not too much of a hinderance and the rifle sling sat on the inside of it quite well. The bolt knob on my rifle found the part of the shoulder strap where it joins the bottom of the sack and rested on it so the sack carried the weight of the rifle. Saw a few roe but no adult bucks so a proper test will have to come in part 3.

IMG_0367.jpg

Part 3

Got my first customer today

IMG_0368.jpg

A young Roe Buck obliged and I battled the flies to process the carcass before opening up the sack to lower him in. My antler pegs are a little filddley but its a price I'm willing to pay as I like the look of them. I use an extra large ortlieb dry bag for a liner (sack made to measure) and this works well.

IMG_0372.jpgIMG_0371.jpg

Tested without the frame. The buck weighed just over 40lb. Fitted easily and I'd expect to fit a 50lb+ carcass with not too much trouble.

The padded shoulders made it more comfortable than most traditional design roe sacks without a waist belt. With the belt done up tight my waist carried some weight but over half was still on my shoulders but I was very happy with weight distribution otherwise. I will have to remember to point the antlers the other way! Next will have to try with the frame.

Last edited:
Oh I do like that.

The monarch gets about as close to what I need as you can get in a commercially available sack but you've seem to have taken the idea a little further. Well done. Really interested to see how it works in the field.

FN

How heavy empty ? Looks a bit cumbersome maybe just not photogenic close up !
​Norma

I'll take my kit out and weigh it sometime. I've added a picture of it worn. The straps are chunky and it isn't the same as wearing a basic traditional design roe sack but the compromise for something more suited to carrying weight is worth it so far.

Looks good and an interesting concept.

In designing our product with the UK manufacturer "Ogden's" the intention was also to incorporate Bergen characteristics by the sack sitting higher up the back than conventional products but without tubular framing.

As well as the waist strap mentioned there is also an upper chest strap and for added comfort 1/2" foam padding is sewn into the back panel.

The "synthetic canvas" is actually military grade cordura which has a higher degree of water resistancy than canvass and also is far more hard wearing than canvass which over time/weathering can become prone to tearing.

The Large Roe Sack

Hope you don't mind me elaborating on a few features of our product - I hope your project is successful :tiphat:

regards

​Rob

Last edited:
I have been thinking the same thing as you Tack
ones I see are far to big when empty for me.
I don't normally carry a bag at all so I buggered if I am spending £90 on one that doesn't tick all the boxes

Hope you don't mind me elaborating on a few features of our product - I hope your project is successful :tiphat:

Not at all. I read quite a few customer reviews that have said your product is lasting the test of time so you can't argue with that. It might be military grade but have you compared it side by side with the canvas used on the 95' pattern issue bergens? I think mine is a bit of a hybrid between traditional and modern rucksack based on the compromise of features I wanted it to have. The main ones being waterproof canvas protection when empty (arguably half the time you are stalking) and the heavy duty back support. A point on the back support. With a frame and correct adjustment of straps a very high percentage of the weight is transferred to your hips. This is something that can't be achieved very effectively without a frame. Personally I don't think a chest strap is a good idea as it restricts the chest and your breathing.

I know most would prefer something that sits unnoticed on your back when stalking but I often think that there is a price being payed on wear and tear to stalker's backs as a result. I wonder if there is a solution?

Love it and as for the antler peg closers ...................!:drool:

One wee suggestion would be to create an off-set rifle sling retainer on the outer side of either shoulder strap so it sits higher and more comfortably. This should only marginally slowdown bringing the rifle to shoulder for a quick shot.

Well done on what by any standard is a cracking bit of kit.

K
Ps:
A word of warning to all rifle owners with the Jewell trigger safety lever that sits within/alongside trigger guard. Carrying such a rifle as per below with closed bolt on a live round can result in accidental discharge as the safety can be disengaged (moved forward) and trigger activated by fabric ingress and pressure. Trust me on this one. K
attachment.php

Last edited:
Love it and as for the antler peg closers ...................!:drool:

One wee suggestion would be to create an off-set rifle sling retainer on the outer side of either shoulder strap so it sits higher and more comfortably. This should only marginally slowdown bringing the rifle to shoulder for a quick shot.

Well done on what by any standard is a cracking bit of kit.

K
Ps:
A word of warning to all rifle owners with the Jewell trigger safety lever that sits within/alongside trigger guard. Carrying such a rifle as per below with closed bolt on a live round can result in accidental discharge as the safety can be disengaged (moved forward) and trigger activated by fabric ingress and pressure. Trust me on this one. K
attachment.php

Well said safety first.

Glendine.

I agree, and I'm on it already! I have been looking at a way of making one out of antler but I am having to think carefully as the design will have one or two stress points that might prove too much for it.

I’ve only installed one to date and that is on a Shark Nordstrom coat.

Took two pieces of leather and stitched to create an arched aperture then filed a piece of buffalo horn to fit snugly inside:

AntiSlipHump_zpsf4d9d73c.jpg

Use a further strip of leather on the reverse side of fabric to sandwich stitch if concerned it will pull-through.

K

I’ve only installed one to date and that is on a Shark Nordstrom coat.

Took two pieces of leather and stitched to create an arched aperture then filed a piece of buffalo horn to fit snugly inside:

AntiSlipHump_zpsf4d9d73c.jpg

Use a further strip of leather on the reverse side of fabric to sandwich stitch if concerned it will pull-through.

K

Thanks for this. My idea was more of a retaining clip but you've given me and idea!.... watch this space.

How heavy empty ? Looks a bit cumbersome maybe just not photogenic close up !
​Norma

Weighed it today on my deer scales and it read just under 2kg. This is about the average weight of a good quality 80 litre backpack which I think would be a good comparison.

Cracking stuff!

Given me an idea for an alternative shoulder retainer and especially as I have a set of counter bores to 'lose' the retaining screws as per above.

Cheers

K

Update. I got rid of the shoulder retainer thingy as it didn't work as well as hoped. For slow stalking short distances I found the rifle is fine with the sling on the inside of the roe sack shoulder strap. And for longer distance and hiking out with a carcass I have developed this,

Back