Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice required

Advice required

Can anyone advise where I can obtain molycoat to enable me to coat my own bullets?I have been using 53grn hornady match bullets in my 22/250 with great results but my supply has now dried up. Any insruction how to do this in my case tumbler would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    John F

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN F View Post
    Can anyone advise where I can obtain molycoat to enable me to coat my own bullets?I have been using 53grn hornady match bullets in my 22/250 with great results but my supply has now dried up. Any insruction how to do this in my case tumbler would be much appreciated.
    Regards
    John F
    I don't know if this will be of any consolation/use but we used to do this procedure a couple of decades back for NRA High Power Rifle Shooting. It was messy and the results were spotty. There is a reason why they are stopping production of moly bullets. It is a fad that has run it's course.

That said, get some Moly-D, and put it in a tumbler with your bullets til it takes. Sometimes 12 hours, sometimes 36 hrs. It is an awful process and frankly, again, not worth the efforts.~Muir

As Muir say - At one time it was thought to be the "Holy Grail" now almost a thing of the past, even not recommended. If you want to find out more here's a very good article about different systems.
    http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletcoating.html

I read that corrosion underneath moly residues in barrels were found to be a problem, anyone else hear this?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

get some acetone down your barrel to clean it out and shoot normal bullets,you may be surprized

You can get all the kit to molycoat from http://www.neconos.com/category/Main-Shop-1

Personally I wouldn't bother. I tried this for a year in calibres from 22-250 to 308. The first thing is that all your load development data goes out the window. Moly does reduce pressure and therefore more powder can produce increased velocity with no pressure signs. Accuracy may be ever so slightly better but I did not get enough reliable statistical information to confirm. Rifles are easier to clean after shooting moly.

​All in all though I did not find the extra effort worthwhile and prefer nice shiny heads!
    Richard

Deer Diary

be careful using acetone make sure you do not have any plastic parts ie trigger floor plate
    ​cheers lister

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I read that corrosion underneath moly residues in barrels were found to be a problem, anyone else hear this?

Yes i heard that many moons ago when i used moly coated B/T's and thats why i stopped using them.

John,

I used to use the NECO kit to moly coat bullets (mid 1990’s).

The kit consisted of two tubs of ball bearings which are used in the tumbler along with a pot of moly powder & one of carnuba wax powder.

You can find the full details on-line but basically the bullets are tumbled with one set of ball bearings & moly powder then tumbled again in another container with the other set of bearings plus some of the carnuba (this puts the wax coat on them). With care it’s quite possible to get good looking results but I found that the wax powder applied better if the ball bearings were warmed prior to tumbling. It’s possible to get some very ugly looking results otherwise.

I got the kit jointly with a shooting friend & I probably shot about 300-400 bullets (.308 for fullbore target rifle shooting) before I came to the conclusion I was seeing no detectable difference either on test targets at short range or on the real targets at somewhat longer distances. I carried on coating bullets for my friend for a while & then happily gave him the kit – I don’t think he ever used it after that.

One problem (for my use) was that in some fullbore TR comp's we had to use ‘issued ammunition’ which of course wasn’t coated; going from coated to uncoated bullets (or the other way), even with a good bore cleaning, resulted in differences in the expected elevation for the first few shots. Bear in mind that one day I’d be shooting at 300 yards & the next 1000 yards & at 1000 I’d want the first of my 2 allowable sighting shots to be the right elevation (i.e. level with the bull) – at shorter ranges I’d want my first sighting shot to be in the bull – there was no room for ‘shooting the barrel in’.

As I was getting good results with my normal uncoated bullets I only saw real disadvantages to the moly with no gains (at least for my usage). I've not used coated bullets since then.

My friend said he got slightly higher velocities with his 210 grain bullets (for ‘match rifle’ at 1000 to 1200 yards) for what appeared to be similar pressure when he’d sorted his loads out but not enough to make any worthwhile reduction in wind drift.

For sporting work & using only coated bullets you won’t have my problems with elevation & there’s probably no other great disadvantage to using moly (take note of the comments above regarding corrosion though) but equally I doubt there’s any noticeable gain in practical use. This doesn’t matter too much if ready coated bullets are available & you like them (confidence in equipment is important) but I’d seriously doubt buying a kit & spending the time using it is worthwhile.

I seem to recall it was Walt Berger who found pitting under the Molycoat in one of his match rifles. He was not impressed and stopped using it right away.

I nearly bought a P-H model 1000 in .243 several years ago. That had been shot using the Honady 58 Grn Moly Coated bullets. The rifling was nearly filled up with that awful Moly coating stuff and it was a right bitch to remove. Once out yep there was pitting in the bore and once the rifle was clean other "issues" and signs of abuse came to light. All hidden under muck and grime. Just how someone who relied on their rifle for their work could allow it to get in such a state still make me wonder and the abuse ????????????????

However it's your rifle so do with it as you will.