peli cases on aircraft

caorach

Following on from the thread about ammo on aircraft I was wondering if anyone has travelled with their rifle in one of the peli cases?

I have a blaser with the blaser case but after having a metal rod tube destroyed by baggage handlers earlier this year was thinking of something even more robust and, of course, the peli cases come top of the list. However, the large rifle case weighs in at 11kg!! A smaller case might do but by the time I add scope, sling, bipod etc. it might take a large one. I know all airlines are different, and if you call them they have no idea what they are talking about and only confuse you, but has anyone travelled on, say, Easyjet with an 11kg peli plus a 4-5kg rifle plus their normal luggage? What about on other carriers?

All opinions, hints, tips or thoughts gratefully received.

Philip, I used to have a Peli case, the 1750 I think. In a previous job I could get these at trade prices.

They are excellent no doubt, very robust, particularly if you use the air lock properly. However, they are just too big and heavy. As you say, take the case at over 10kg, plus rifle scope etc, it soon starts to get very heavy. With ever increasing charges for extra baggage, I just wouldn't go there.

The next problem I had was when three of us went to get into a hire car in Prague to drive to Brno, the bloody case would not fit in the car boot and ended up in the back seat. Nightmare.

I sold the case.

Bought a short flight case that was designed for a shotgun and modified it slightly to fit my Sauer with the stock off. I will post a photo of the case with rifle in, absolutely perfect and only 30" long. Does not even look like a gun case which is an additional bonus.

Sauer ready to travel, this lot loaded and ready to go weighs less than the Peli empty:

002-3.jpg

You should be able to modify a case like this to suit the Blaser. you can pick these cases up for £50-£60.

That is a neat solution Brian, I will take a look at some of the smaller peli cases as the blaser might fit into some of them with scope and all. However, going lighter might be better and I know a few people who build, or have built, custom flight cases so I will have words with them. I hadn't thought of that until you posted!

caorach

I don't know if it would help, but I used these people before:

http://www.flightcasewarehouse.co.uk/info/index.asp

I bought a full-length flight case for lugging my rifle to/from Scotland. I grabbed one of the spare cases they had in what I thought was about the right size, but they can make up any spec you want. As it was a spare, the case was very good value, but I overestimated the size I needed so ended up having to buy a Toyota Landcruiser to carry it :oops:

Make sure to ask that the case has locks that can use regular padlocks, etc.

willie_gunn

As far as i am aware you can carry unlimited "sports equipment" for a set fee. I know a load of friends who go snowboarding/skiing each year and they put ALL their heavy kit into their ski/board bags. they are also allowed to take the normal 20kgs of hold baggage.

I cannot remember how much extra it costs to carry "sports equipment" but i'm pretty sure its a set fee regardless of weight.

Not sure if that is of any help but thought i'd mention it.

Regards

Guy's,

It isn't the aircraft that is the problem but the car at the hunting end!

Fixed rifle in a Peli is a big slab to fit in.

Think you and the rest of your party plus all luggage and if it don't fit in a Jap SUV then it's too big.

Main reason for a break down rifle for travel.

Stan

Philip, there you have it. Get rid of that bloody plastic rattle box and buy a proper rifle (Sauer) and get a nice handy short case. 8)

I would be tempted Brian, actually I set out to buy a Sauer but ended up with the Blaser. To be honest I'm glad I did as it has worked well for me but I do still fancy some nice wood. In saying that I've been following reports of a nice plastic rifle you've got yourself!

I talked with a friend who builds flight cases as a side line and he is away to have a think about the problem. I will take my Blaser case to him to see if that gives him any further ideas and if he feels he can make something that will work then will maybe give him the chance to see what he can come up with.

If he comes up with anything useful then photos will follow, though at the speed he works at it will not be any day soon!

Everything has changed since around August of this year (2009) with airlines bringing different extra charges for "sporting firearms". Some charge a fixed extra and others charge by total weight (includes your hold suitcase PLUS your rifle).
Have a look at this page on my site http://www.countrysports.co.uk/sheets/South_Africa_reference.htm
and see the 'update' section. The page gives info. about travelling to S. Africa but is equally applicable to Europe.
('m taking taking a group to Poland and using 3 different airlines in the process and each one has a different policy!!)
Any posts about their experience before summer of 2009 are out of date.

Everything has changed since around August of this year (2009) with airlines bringing different extra charges for "sporting firearms". Some charge a fixed extra and others charge by total weight (includes your hold suitcase PLUS your rifle).
Have a look at this page on my site http://www.countrysports.co.uk/sheets/South_Africa_reference.htm
and see the 'update' section. The page gives info. about travelling to S. Africa but is equally applicable to Europe.
('m taking taking a group to Poland and using 3 different airlines in the process and each one has a different policy!!)
Any posts about their experience before summer of 2009 are out of date.

Hi, I came back yesterday from a few days hindstalking in Scotland. Some interesting experiences to share:
I booked a flight from Gatwick to Inverness with Easyjet online. You will be shown an option to include Fire arms, so I did. You will than have to call their customer service to re-confirm, which I did. They than told me to check-in my ammo (I intended to carry only 40 rounds with me on this trip) seperate from the rifle (of course), but, I could not put it in my 'normal' suitcase. That would have meant a very small box (holding max 50 bullets) going on the belt etc. and bound to be lost somewhere along the line. They appreciated my concern and told me I could put the ammo in my rifle case! Got even written confirmation on this.

At the airport check-in desk (with firearms check-in 90minutes before take off) an Easyjet official came down to do the paper work. He told me that I could not carry the bullets in my rifle case but could carry the bullets in my normal suitcase. He was obviously very surprised when I showed him the e-mail from their customer service department. A baggage handler turned up and I had to accompany him with the rifle to a special luggage check-in. All went fine...sofar.

Arrived in Inverness. Baggage Handler personally delivered the rifle case ( a Storm Case IM3300), checked my FAC, done. BUT my suitcase had not arrived. Suitcase lost, airport police involved (all very nice and helpfull people though), jumped in a rental car and went straight to Inverness, Castle Street and luckily Grahams gunshop stock a very large variety of ammo.. Suitcase arrived, via Belfast, back in Inverness 2 days later and a courier took the case to my hotel.

Yesterday flew back, went through a similar check-in procedure at Inverness (smaller airport and they have more experience with transport of FireArms). Small problem I had though, I had ended up with many more rounds I initially intended to carry with me. I solved that by spending quite a bit of time on a range the day before. Anyway, plane arrived and with my own eyes I saw the rifle case plus my suitcase going on the plane.
Back in London, baggage handler at the belt accompanied me to a special point in the terminal and there my rifle was handed over by another handler after he had checked my FAC, BUT no suitcase! The suitcase, back in Inverness was labelled clearly with a FireArm tag because it carried ammo, on top of the 'normal' luggage labels etc..

Deja vu :) In the end the handlers (again they were very helpfull) found the case after an half hour with not a single lable or other identification on it.

One can certainly raise some questionmarks regarding the security, right?

Had a good couple of days stalking though and very good weather, (compared to the atrocious weather in the South East). Will certainly take my rifle again, but be aware !

Back