Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 Scotland 2014

DSC1 Scotland 2014

Is it true that you cannot stalk in Scotland after 2014 if you do not have DSC1 ?

PV

In short, right now - NO ITS NOT TRUE.

The WANE legislation provides that SNH have to report to the responsible Minister regards the state of Competency of stalkers in Scotland by April 2014. It is then for the Minister to decide what - IF ANY - further action is to be required.

BASC, SGA and likely other organisations have details on this process on their websites.

Now you NEED ( please note humorous intent behind selective capitalisation ) to be aware that the committees that have been looking at this are busy - stalker competency has to fit on a packed agenda including - Area 51, The Kennedy plot, Nimbaru ( or is that the Tea brand? ), Illuminati and the real identity of JAYB. So there is a far bit of hyperbole on the fly.

Some say DSC1 will be mandatory - and that's assuming that DSC1 is accepted as the appropriate level. Others that we we face a new test regime and so on etc etc etc.

Your quite natural and proper question will very likely open a mini storm of speculation - please don't worry about that and equally understand that my lame humour above is not directed at you, but ( in good nature ) at the debate likely to follow.

But my understanding is that what is to happen will be as laid down in the WANE Act - the situation will be reviewed. If it is concluded that uptake of a recognised self-qualification is sufficient, then it is more unlikely that anything will be imposed. Or, if it is, it will more closely follow the existing voluntary scheme.

It seems unlikely ( with the Scottish Government its always dodgy to try applying common sense of course ) that they would legislate an entire industry out of existence - so very worst case would seem to be that any deer stalking would need to take place in the presence of a suitably competent person - eg a guest rifle going out with the professional stalker etc.

Incoming!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

There was some scaremongering a while back but i am sure it has now been put to bed .BDS scotland had to burn all leaflets regarding this and start a fresh. So MO is on the money the Government through their department SNH will look at competency in 2014. There is of coarse the insetuous relation ship between government departments and large organisations to contend with but i am sure that will also calm down now that everyone is aware of its existence. I am sure also that should a standard be required Lev one would not be enough . It is questionable if it should hold standing with regards the meat hygiene certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    I am sure also that should a standard be required Lev one would not be enough . It is questionable if it should hold standing with regards the meat hygiene certificate.
    Does that mean it's a heap of mince

Ed

LE My thoughts are how can they say you are fit to put meat into the food chain when you might have ever seen a deer. Part of best practice is to recognize a deer that is acting slightly different to what you know as normal and also to external and internal checks, So is it fit for purpose in my opinion no. LEV 1 In my opinion cannot be the standard .
    But as they say we all have opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    PV In short, right now - NO ITS NOT TRUE. The WANE legislation provides that SNH have to report to the responsible Minister regards the state of Competency of stalkers in Scotland by April 2014.
    I don't think that is what the legislation actually says:

17A Register of persons competent to shoot deer
    (1)The Scottish Ministers may by regulations—

(a)make provision for the establishment and operation of a register of persons competent to shoot deer in Scotland;

b)prohibit any person from shooting deer unless the person is—

(i)registered; or

(ii)supervised by a registered person;

(c)provide that being a registered person is sufficient to meet the requirements as to fitness and competence under sections 26(2)(d) and 37(1);

(d)require registered persons or owners or occupiers of land to submit cull returns to SNH.

……….

……….

17B Review of competence etc. by SNH

(1)SNH must carry out a review of the following matters if the power in section 17A(1) is not exercised by 1st April 2014—

(a)levels of competence among persons who shoot deer in Scotland;
    (b)the effect of such levels of competence on deer welfare.

………….

(3)If SNH carries out a review, it must—

……….

(b)publish a report of the review.

So if the ministers have taken no action under 17A1 by April 2014, then thereafter SNH have to carry out a review, but it seems to be open ended, I cannot find any date specified for when the review has to be completed. The reporting requirement is not to report to the resposible minister, it is to "publish a report", and again I can find no time constraint.

Happy to be corrected if there is a part of the legislation I have missed.
    Last edited by Chanty Wrassler; 01-09-2013 at 00:59.

'corrected' ? In what way? It wasn't my intent to quote the legislation verbatim so fundamentally no conflict between our posts. Beyond that, I believe that my summary is a reasonable reflection of how the Act may be applied in practice. So I dont see a material difference in effect.

Happy for any of the Shooting Organisations to pitch in with their view - note the 's' in the word Organisation!

Thank you for publishing those excerpts - could you put in a link to the source for reference?
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms

MO i am sure you are talking about BASC BDS as they are the only ones that seem to be invited on to every panel even if they have no idea of what goes on in the real world.

6P

We've Pm'd as a side matter already.

Actually it wasnt the involvement on panels/ committees etc I had in mind in terms of my lines above. It was purely inviting clarification from the Organisations ( across the board ) and trying ( admit a little underhand on my part ) to encourage those other than BASC to post for a change. I believe most monitor SD if not play a very active role. Its an important topic and it would be interesting to hear views from the SO's - on basis that whether directly involved or not, they likely have a take on things.

Nothing deeper than that - honest!