Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Eiger Quad jets

Suzuki Eiger Quad jets

Gents,

My quadbike runs beautifully until it gets to about halfway up the throttle, and/or it comes under towing load, or going uphill..ie, until a certain 'pressure' is reached.

I have taken the carburetor apart and cleaned the jets, it gave a small increase in performance on the initial stage, due to cloggin in the pilot jet, but the main jet was clean.

question is, does anyone here have a slightly larger main jet I could try, or have any other ideas? My local blacksmith recently cleaned the fuel lines, tank and pump, as well as checked the fuel lines and spark plugs, which was expensive, and did nothing to fix the problem...hence I've resolved to DIY!!!

thoughts/help on the jetting front?

Peter,

The best I can come up with is to check out a Suzuki quad forum that will probably sort you out if no one on here can help.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    First of all, given what you have done so far I would check the valve clearances.
    Second I would check very carefully that there are no splits in your intake and that it assembled correctly.
    Although you cleaned the pilot jet did you check that the pilot jet air path was free from obstruction?
    Your problem sounds like a transition problem. This is when you will e taking fuel from the idle and main jet. The holes that provide fuel from the idle circuit are very small. There are often three of them with only one available a idle and the other two coming into play as the throttle butterfly is opened. You will need to get some jet cleaner and some fine jet cleaning wire and take everything off the carb to give you access to all of the airways. It may pay to drop the carb into an ultrasonic cleaner. If you don't have one your local motorbike shop will.
    Finall do not be tempted to muck aout with different jets. They really are only for altitude compensation. And don't forget to change you air filter too.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    First of all, given what you have done so far I would check the valve clearances.
    Second I would check very carefully that there are no splits in your intake and that it assembled correctly.
    Although you cleaned the pilot jet did you check that the pilot jet air path was free from obstruction?
    Your problem sounds like a transition problem. This is when you will e taking fuel from the idle and main jet. The holes that provide fuel from the idle circuit are very small. There are often three of them with only one available a idle and the other two coming into play as the throttle butterfly is opened. You will need to get some jet cleaner and some fine jet cleaning wire and take everything off the carb to give you access to all of the airways. It may pay to drop the carb into an ultrasonic cleaner. If you don't have one your local motorbike shop will.
    Finall do not be tempted to muck aout with different jets. They really are only for altitude compensation. And don't forget to change you air filter too.
    I agree with this post , just take out the main jet then remove the emultion tubes underneath and clean properly after everything has been done you could if not cured try dropping the needle one clip if these are adjustable. just to clarify what is it doing is it bogging down with too much fuel or running lean?
    dropping a needle will lean off the mixture mid to top throttle and raising gives more fuel hope this helps
    also to check how it is running properly you would need to run the quad and at the point you want to check whats going on kill the engine and remove the plug and inspect you must kill it at the procise moment you want to find out whats going on dont back off the throttle. this is a poor mans dyno ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Plug checks are pretty much pointless on anything running on unleaded petrol.
    If it used to run ok, and nothing has been modified I would be looking at air leaks, and giving the carb a proper clean.
    Ultra sonic bath and a high pressure air-line will shift most dirt, try to refrain from poking bits of wire etc through jets and internal drillings.
    Jets can be readily obtained from a decent M/bike shops, or on line from somebody like Allens Performance Mikuni Keihin Carbs

Neil.

Rough running under load could be down to ignition system breakdown (higher cylinder pressure makes the sparking more difficult & this feeds back into the electrix resulting in loosing the spark intensity). Change the plug, check the plug lead, clean off any crud round the coil all may help. If this fails, then you may need to swap the coil or igniter unit.
    I had your symptoms on a few of my bikes & it was ignition not fuel in every case.

​Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Plug checks are pretty much pointless on anything running on unleaded petrol.
    If it used to run ok, and nothing has been modified I would be looking at air leaks, and giving the carb a proper clean.
    Ultra sonic bath and a high pressure air-line will shift most dirt, try to refrain from poking bits of wire etc through jets and internal drillings.
    Jets can be readily obtained from a decent M/bike shops, or on line from somebody like Allens Performance Mikuni Keihin Carbs

Neil.
    Neil thats rubbish plug chops are invaluable if done correctly and have used this method for over 20 years and one thing i do know about is jetting on carbs running race bikes if the jetting was one jet off you might as well have gone home. This method works on all petrol from unleaded to elf gas its no good doing lots of different things at once to solve a problem as you dont learn whats wrong change one thing and move on the problem could be lots of things as the symtoms are all similar to each other from a stator breaking down to incorrect jetting you just have to check methodically to find the fault,atb wayne. ps if having a full service before and it still has not cured you should be able to rule out plugs as these would have been changed but as its the simplist and easiest thing to change start there , atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I have an Eiger that farts and hesitates in reverse, runs fine forward but feels like fuel starved in reverse so I blame the automatic transmission! So I live with it. Also has delayed pop after you switch off and dismount! Still a good bike and pulls well with trailer.

My old quad was just like that, and it was mostly due to crud from the tank coming through and blocking the carb.
    After draining and cleaning the tank and the carb to the best of my ability I fitted an in-line fuel filter it was ok for a good while. Just had to clean out the filter from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by shortshot View Post
    I have an Eiger that farts and hesitates in reverse, runs fine forward but feels like fuel starved in reverse so I blame the automatic transmission! So I live with it. Also has delayed pop after you switch off and dismount! Still a good bike and pulls well with trailer.

Thats a saftey feature to prevent the driver from killing himself, yamaha are the same