Thread: Closed certificate permission question

Closed certificate permission question

Hi gents just a query really , I have closed ceet for 7mm 08 my mate has the stalking rights for a large section of land and the land is passed for 7mm am I ok to stalk with him on his permission even though the land in question isn't written down on my certificate?

Many thanks
    ​jim

don't no how long you have been shooting but if its for some time request AOLQ and have you cert opened up as per acpo ,the land owner etc needs to give you the ok as you may get an armed tresspass ! should it go wrong ,unless your pal who has the land is able to take on guest or payed stalking down on/in his paperwork from the owner etc, or if you know the owner or agent try to get a letter and get that letter in along with your request's to you flo . i may be wrong but this is what i would do in your case,
    atb
    paul o'

Yes. I assume you are conditioned to shoot on land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police, which, if it has been cleared for 7mm, it has.

Closed certificates should be a thing of the past. The modern way of doing it is with restrictive conditions and even that's being questioned.
    Last edited by DaveK; 27-08-2013 at 14:47.

It will need to be your own force's Chief Officer's conditioning, if it's outside your force area you will be in breach of your conditions.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    It will need to be your own force's Chief Officer's conditioning, if it's outside your force area you will be in breach of your conditions.
    Can you clarify what you mean by this please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Can you clarify what you mean by this please ?
    It depends upon the wording.

If it reads "...or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated..." then you are ok.

It would only be a problem if all land had to be approved by the chief of police of the certificate issuing force. This would be very odd wording as it would require your chief officer to travel all over the country approving land in other forces areas that you had permission to shoot on.

This is the standard wording from the HO guidance, see Appendix 3, 1.
    Last edited by Irish Bob; 27-08-2013 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post

If it reads "...or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for the area where the land is situated..." then you are ok.

It would only be a problem if all land had to be approved by the chief of police of the certificate issuing force. This would be very odd wording as it would require your chief officer to travel all over the country approving land in other forces areas that you had permission to shoot on.
    Mine reads as you said " or land deemed suittable by chief of police for that area " however it says. In need lawful authority to shoot there , as my mate has the stalking rights would his verbal permission be deemed lawful authorit ?
    Last edited by jimbo1984; 27-08-2013 at 20:49.

Yes exactly. I was concerned that finnbear's post was open to a misleading interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    Mine reads as you said " or land deemed doubtable by chief of police for that area " however it says. In need lawful authority to shoot there , as my mate has the stalking rights would his verbal permission be deemed lawful authorit ?
    In my view yes, also see para 13.12 of the HO guidance about not bothering the police if the land owner tells you the land is cleared for the calibre in question. However, there will be those who will tell you that you need to see a certified copy of the lease etc. If your mate tells you that he has lawful authority to shoot there and that he is permitted to take other people then that should suffice. I do not think you need to look behind this and contact the land owner.

However, if when you are there he keeps telling you to duck down behind a hedge if someone else is about then you may want to revisit this.

In my view yes, also see para 13.12 of the HO guidance about not bothering the police if the land owner tells you the land is cleared for the calibre in question. However, there will be those who will tell you that you need to see a certified copy of the lease etc. If your mate tells you that he has lawful authority to shoot there and that he is permitted to take other people then that should suffice. I do not think you need to look behind this and contact the land owner.

However, if when you are there he keeps telling you to duck down behind a hedge if someone else is about then you may want to revisit this.
    Thanks bob that's what I thought too , his cert is open however it wasn't always and he had this land before so I knw it's cleared for the calibre , I will be named on the lease when it's renewed just waiting a few months in the mentime , thanks for all the replies