'Letter of the week/month' in shooting magazines.

Erik Hamburger

A couple of years ago I emailed a shooting magazine with a funny story about a Dutch nun in full religious robes in the beating line of our local little shoot. I bet some of the guys on the shoot for a beer that the letter would win 'letter of the week',... and it did! - so now I have a lovely pair of Hunters wellies. However it took quite a few phone calls and emails to actually get the wellies sent to me - I had to chase it up with some tenacity.

Quite recently I emailed the Editor of another shooting magazine to express my disappointment with the tone and subject of his Editorial comment which didn't serve the shooting community well from a PR point of view. This email was not meant for publication but the magazine made it 'Letter of the month' without asking my permission - I wasn't too happy because it included my political views as well as a statement of my economic position in society which I considered a private matter. However the damage was done and it was published as letter of the month, and I was promised a bottle of something alcoholic.

Yes, you can guess where this is going: I never received the bottle, and emails to both the Editor and the magazine reminding them that I never received the promised booze have disappeared in cyberspace - I never had a reply.

Questions:
  1. So, should I name and shame this magazine and the Editor?
  2. Should I make this a poll?
  3. Should I share the bottle (if it ever arrives!) with everybody who guessed which magazine and which Editor we are talking about?
  4. Will this magazine take out an injunction against me to stop me from naming and shaming them?
  5. Will the editor and all the staff have been too busy to reply and sent me that bottle, because they are all far too busy enjoying the Corporate Hospitality from the three Premium Brands they always heavily promote? (Starting with S, Z and B)
  6. Do I infringe anybody's Human Rights by raising this important matter?

Is this magazine edited by the host of the "shurting shur" per chance?

Sorry I like to think I am a reasonably intelligent guy (hence my dislike of expensive Premium Brands;) but I have absolutely no idea what you mean by 'shurting shur'. Please translate to English. Or Dutch, or German, or French ...I can handle all...)

I know whom you are referring to and his reputation is pretty awful as a con man as it is so I say go ahead you won't be telling anybody anything new !

Publish away. It's not your fault if someone else reneges on something. Might do someone some good, either by not falling foul of empty promises or perhaps even rehabilitating someone. (Breath not being held until the second happens).

Thanks for the advise online and in PM's.

The magazine is Sporting Rifle, the person is Mr Peter Carr
I have just sent them this email:

To:
Peter Carr peter@petercarr.eu
Blaze Publishing info@blazepublishing.co.uk

Please be informed that I have now cancelled my Direct Debit to 'Sporting Rifle' and do not wish to renew my subscription, as you have not had the courtesy to respond to my email of the 9th. August asking why I never received the promised bottle of The Kings Ginger for my 'Letter of the month'.
Obviously the Editor and management of this magazine have total contempt for their readers...such a shame.

Please publish this letter if you wish - but I bet you (a bottle of The Kings Ginger maybe?) that you won't.

Erik Hamburger

Well done, name & shame although I doubt this individual has any shame, I put this man in the same category as those in another thread shooting deer from a vehicle at night & in my opinion should have had his cert revoked by now.
Thanks for the advise online and in PM's.

The magazine is Sporting Rifle, the person is Mr Peter Carr
I have just sent them this email:

To:
Peter Carr peter@petercarr.eu
Blaze Publishing info@blazepublishing.co.uk

Please be informed that I have now cancelled my Direct Debit to 'Sporting Rifle' and do not wish to renew my subscription, as you have not had the courtesy to respond to my email of the 9th. August asking why I never received the promised bottle of The Kings Ginger for my 'Letter of the month'.
Obviously the Editor and management of this magazine have total contempt for their readers...such a shame.

Please publish this letter if you wish - but I bet you (a bottle of The Kings Ginger maybe?) that you won't.

Erik Hamburger

What do you expect from a man whom has court judgements for theft and other broken promises already against him.

I read the opening post the other day and knew straight away who you'd be referring too. Just search on his name on this forum and you'll see why it's no surprise to anyone.

This just proves that we have not got the best people representing us in the public eye so what can we expect other than criticism from others outside our comunity.

He doesn't represent me!

I guess that in every walk of life there'll be a few wrong 'uns. I'd like to think there will be less in field sports circles, because you have to have a certain amount of lawfulness to keep your certificates, but there'll still be some. It's a wonder that his reputation and by association the magazine hasn't impacted on him. Must affect sales figures I should think.

Hey guys, I am way to late with this but that happened me also with the Sporting Rifle. I emailed them about 5 times and never got my bottle of gin for letter of the month.

I got the same letter into both the Countrymans Weekly and the Sporting Gun on the same month (could you believe!!!!) and got the prizes from those magazines within a month. One was a pair of the best stalking trousers I ever owned. But as for Sporting Rifle, I love it when the wife surprises me with it on a Sunday but boy they penalise their loyal readers/contributors something shocking.

Given how much of a con his stalking 'bible' is, which just regurgitates often contradictory sporting rifle articles with a glossy cover and hefty price tag, I'm not surprised. Hope this thread does the trick for you!

Holy thread resurrection! I don’t know the chap - could someone point me in the direction of some fact based stuff on his misdemeanours? Had a google but can’t find owt. Just curious...

At least your letter of the month had some genuine original content. In another well-known shooting magazine it would appear that the only requirement to receive the letter of the month accolade is that you praise the relevant organisation to the skies.

Last edited:
Back