Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo for DSC 1

Ammo for DSC 1

I'm looking at getting my DSC Level 1 and want to know if on the shooting phase of the course, is it essential to use expanding ammo or is it ok to use 155gr SMK's (.308) as my rifle finds them far more accurate ?

Regards

​Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LONG RANGE CAPT View Post
    I'm looking at getting my DSC Level 1 and want to know if on the shooting phase of the course, is it essential to use expanding ammo or is it ok to use 155gr SMK's (.308) as my rifle finds them far more accurate ?

Regards

​Rob
    Use 155gr Hollow points
    Don't mention the match bit
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Pretty sure the rifle/ammo combo used has to be deer legal, but best to check with your course provider.

use what your used to if it hits in the correct place don't panic or amax !!! err sorry ment vmax try geco

Just checked the forms from my own DSC1 course (with BASC) a couple of years ago and the requirements were (1) rifle in deer legal calibre and (2) factory ammunition, no home loads.

So in theory you should be fine to take your [factory] target rounds for your .308 (deer legal) rifle , but the test is pass/fail and isn't massively demanding so I wouldn't be too concerned about the extra 0.001 MOA.

Ask the course provider, some insist on factory ammo while others allow any reloads as long as its a deer legal calibre

Akeld - spot on!

For the Shooting Test you are required to use a deer legal rifle and ammunition. However, some courses operate on ranges where range specific rules preclude certain elements of that or club/insurance rules apply - hence people have slightly different experiences.

Golden rule remains - always consult your course provider - they are your best source of information.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Not everyone who does a level 1 is yet conditioned for Expanding Ammunition so Logic would suggest 'Target Ammo' is acceptable.Indeed many a FLD are asking for level 1 before considering it. It is a test of Shooting ability so the projectile used is surely immaterial? The Form you sign on the Range only asks for Calibre and Bullet weight if memory serves.

Yorkie.

No one mentioned ammo when I did mine, they just asked us what calibre we was all using!

bullet

Use the estate rifle and they supply ammo, and its zeroed all you have to do then is point and shoot