Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pheasant feed..

Pheasant feed..

Folks, the medicated pellets are running out, and it's only a matter of time until they start nipping at each other, so they'll be needing out. I'm looking for advice on a pellet to feed them for a wee while before putting them onto wheat, good stuff, prices etc. Obviously I'll be buying local, so limited as to the prices I can get, but a recommendation on the right pellets would be great !

I feed sportsmans ..game release + spice .....lovely .
    ​norma

We used Gamekeeper feeds maintainance pellet

depends how old your poults are

Poults will be about 11-12 weeks when the medicated grower feed runs out. used to just put them straight onto wheat after that, but thinking of trying some spiced release pellets with some wheat ?
    Just having a looky at Sportsman and Glenesk stuff, but if any alternatives you reckon are the bees knees ?
    Last edited by Malxwal; 28-08-2013 at 01:04.

Malxwal don't bother mixing the pellet with wheat. The pheasants will eat the pellet And waste the wheat you will just find heaps of wasted wheat under the feeders. What I would do is put a 1/4 - 1/2 a bag of pellet in the feeder with the wheat on top so as the pellet runs out they have slightly spiced wheat to get use to.
    Last edited by crouch valley; 28-08-2013 at 06:56.

Our poults are similer age now I have put 2 feeders outside the pens and put starter pellets in one and good wheat in the other they change over on their own in a few weeks of their own accord.
    any feeders away from the pen is filled with corn.
    last year once the birds went onto corn they would not eat pellets they started to go stale in the feeders and i was left with several bags of expensive pellets so dont buy too many pellets we get through about 40bags to 1000 birds.

Just got in from morning round nice to see birds come down from roost and start feeding.makes early rising worthwhile and of course the roe out .
    Last edited by roedeerred; 28-08-2013 at 06:54.

Aye, cheers folks. As you say, it's been our experience that the birds will just pick the pellets and dump the wheat. The it's the other way round, and the pellets left were wasted. Maybe just a few bags to tint the wheat, or we have aniseed oil which would flavour the last of the pellets and the wheat.
    About the corn, what is it you use ? I think we enquired about corn only to find it very expensive ?

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    Our poults are similer age now I have put 2 feeders outside the pens and put starter pellets in one and good wheat in the other they change over on their own in a few weeks of their own accord.
    any feeders away from the pen is filled with corn.
    last year once the birds went onto corn they would not eat pellets they started to go stale in the feeders and i was left with several bags of expensive pellets so dont buy too many pellets we get through about 40bags to 1000 birds.

Just got in from morning round nice to see birds come down from roost and start feeding.makes early rising worthwhile and of course the roe out .
    Blimey we feed at least 2 1/2 tons to a thousand birds ,probably why mine feather up so well !
    ​Norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Blimey we feed at least 2 1/2 tons to a thousand birds ,probably why mine feather up so well !
    ​Norma
    They probably need lots of feathers to fly with? That's 2.5Kg per bird!!

​;-)
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).