Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti Whilst Lamping : Very Odd Behaviour

Anti Whilst Lamping : Very Odd Behaviour

Ive been shooting a permission now for 18wks on / off of two ajoining farms backing onto eachother; Ive undertaken the obigitory walk around to demonstate safe practice etc:
    Agreement with both parties to shoot onlt rabbit as the place is crawling with them and nothing else for the time being; but deer and fox has been discussed for later. Plenty of daylight kills and will bring others in for ferreting

Last night; first lamping over this ground took 3 clean and safe shots; approaching kills to pick up when 'BANG' out of the blue an 'anti' with a torch in my face.... questioning, accusing, swearing - bl@@dy nutter !!
    Apparently been watching for some time in the bushes ( the same boundary Ive been shooting towards !!! ) and started spouting about being me out shooting Badgers and that ( I quote ) 'you dont use red for lamping' - 'rabbits only come out during the day ... uh ?' .. 'so I must be shooting badger'.. and most incredibly ... was proud of the fact he had evaded my red lamp and claimed had I shot him that woudl in some way be a good thing as I'd get 'bird' .. ...

At this point I wanted to get the right hump; but unloaded; shouldered the weapon and kept my sticks at the ready as he continued to mouth off. and close the personal gap. and all I wanted to do was to turn and return to my vehicle some 1 mile off !! but couldnt for fear of what may occur incase back was turned.. !!

Managed after 40minutes to make the right 'noises' and comments to make him feel in control and that he had got his point over and 'taught me a thing or two', and he walked back to boundary with less wind and BS in his lungs. Kept eye to him to ensure safe to move, and took an evasion path back to vehicle
    Returned to car with no further incident and spoke the farmer immediately to inform him, to which he patrolled in the jeep to determine if the anti was still about .. no luck

I know Im in the right, Needless to say I DONT and WILL NOT Shoot badgers, and was fully within my rights and the law in doing what I was about. Still extremely disturbing and will make me consider taking a 'wingman' with me next time with night vision to spot them by IR.

Im going to liaise with the farmer if we should involve the police, but must respect his wishes..

As you can imagine - Im shaken and can not think if I could have handled it better
    Have BASC so might chat to them to ensure Im not missing a trick !

TOMSK

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
    next time with night vision to spot them by IR.
    Only answer.
    I use my NV to spot the dodgy doggers and shadow creepers as much as I do the rabbits!!
    I always spend 10 minutes having a good butchers around hedges and boundaries

far to many people out there at night in parks, golf courses and fields, cracking one off in the bushes, drinking buckfast or banging someone else's wife to start plinking bunnies without due diligence

You did very well. Now make a full written record of exactly what happened and what was said, together with a full description of the trespasser. Depending on what was actually said by the trespasser, he may have committed a criminal offence.
    Try your best to persuade the landowner to agree to you reporting the incident to the police. You will then get an incident number for future reference and there may be a pattern of such incidents in your area. The police may know the identity of the person.
    Reporting this incident should also provide you with some protection as having targeted you once, the likelihood is that further visits will be made by this individual or associates.
    Good idea to talk to the team at BASC too.

How long will it be before we think we need to wear a camera to prove to the police that the inevitable made up complaint is a fabrication and there are no grounds to remove our equipment?

You sound to have done well. You should chat to BASC, why not?

Dont think the police would be interested but you should ring it in a get a log number because it will show there is previous and you have been the aggrieved party. Just a precaution in case he reappears.

It is a bugger and I have given up on a small piece of my ground as I was getting shouted at every time I went

Quote Originally Posted by howa243 View Post
    How long will it be before we think we need to wear a camera to prove to the police that the inevitable made up complaint is a fabrication and there are no grounds to remove our equipment?
    after having an incedent in a car this is what i have now a small bullet camera it is good for footage on shooting but will come in handy in an event and with all this badger lark can only see this getting out of hand .
    After going through over a years worth of grief and court battles i would in future just record the incident either with the phone conversation or small camera ,not say a word and ring the police at the first instance some on here will rubish this idea but you have done everything correct i wouldn't not even speak to the person involved.
    to op I hope everything goes ok and it doesn't go any further ,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

One of these could be useful Veho VCC-003 Muvi Micro DV Camcorder: Amazon.co.uk: Camera Photo although Im not sure if it would be submissable as evidence as they dont appear to show time and date .

Why don't you just record what the guy says on your phone? Is that allowed?

​i bought a gopro for recording shooting but seem to use it more as a backup incase someone complains!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Only answer.
    I use my NV to spot the dodgy doggers and shadow creepers as much as I do the rabbits!!
    I always spend 10 minutes having a good butchers around hedges and boundaries

far to many people out there at night in parks, golf courses and fields, cracking one off in the bushes, drinking buckfast or banging someone else's wife to start plinking bunnies without due diligence
    ​Sounds like a good purchase