Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do Red deer react to rain?

How do Red deer react to rain?

Hi All,

Some help please.
    Out of experience how do Red deer react to mild wet weather?.
    I mainly hunt Sika and fallow and I can guess there reaction to weather pretty accurately.

I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks,
    Glendine.

Reds dont care about mild wet weather it takes wind and cold to drive them in .

agreed, if they cared about a bit of wind and rain, they'd not be in Scotland! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    agreed, if they cared about a bit of wind and rain, they'd not be in Scotland! LOL
    Thanks for your replies. Its much appreciated. Scotland wet! Ireland isnt much better.
    The monsoon season along with the deer hunting season starts in September.

Regards,
    Glendine.

Long periods of cold wet weather will drive Red Deer lower to seek shelter. Short periods will not bother them much as they are very used to it. In many cases on the open hill its knowing your ground that counts, and you will find Reds sheltering in the lee of the wind as a rule.

Most Red hinds are hefted to the local area they were born in and get to know the area to shelter in quite well.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    In my experience, albeit limited only to annual trips to Sutherland for the last 18 years, heavy rain seems to have limited effect on red deer. To be fair, the only cover on the estate is a plantation down near the lodge, so the deer have limited opportunities. So they stay on the lee side of the tops and sit it out. This is a bu**er if you're second rifle for the day and the stalker decides to head away for the stalk with the first rifle. I've sat there on exposed hill tops way too many times - no chance to see the stalk and no chance to stay dry, just you, the incessant rain and the feeling that the river down below must be in perfect condition for the salmon.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Hi All,

Again sincere thanks for your replies.

The area that I will be hunting in is agriculture land bordered by state owned forestry.
    Some of the ground is marsh and has deer grass on it the other area is fine pastoral lands all of which will be shared by cattle.
    The area up to now has had limited hunting pressure the most prominent stalker in the area told me he shot three deer out for the area last year.

The weather is stating showers and mild weather temperatures in the mid to high teens.
    So if I do my part and be in the area well before dawn and wait for the Red’s to appear like ghost I should have some luck regardless of the rain. With the temperatures being quite high and with little wind the rain will not hamper the Red deer’s usual routine?

Many thanks

Regards,
    Glendine.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    Hi All,

Again sincere thanks for your replies.

The area that I will be hunting in is agriculture land bordered by state owned forestry.
    Some of the ground is marsh and has deer grass on it the other area is fine pastoral lands all of which will be shared by cattle.
    The area up to now has had limited hunting pressure the most prominent stalker in the area told me he shot three deer out for the area last year.

The weather is stating showers and mild weather temperatures in the mid to high teens.
    So if I do my part and be in the area well before dawn and wait for the Red’s to appear like ghost I should have some luck regardless of the rain. With the temperatures being quite high and with little wind the rain will not hamper the Red deer’s usual routine?

Many thanks

Regards,
    Glendine.
    Glendine

Ah-ha! Sorry, I misunderstood - my comments were more related to heading up onto the Hill and stalking the red deer there rather than intercepting them near the forestry. Can't really help you there I'm afraid, but good luck and let us know how things go.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Not sure if this will help or not, but I've watched from the side of forestry block feeding out on the open hill while heavy rain has been coming down in windy conditions, whilst there was snow on the ground. They really are quite hardy animals that tolerate bad weather pretty well.

You're pan seems sound to me, essentially you're trying to catch them either going out to feed or come back in at dusk and dawn. The weather you mention will not be an issue to them if it's only for a short period of time as has already been said.

In my experience mild wet weather seems to draw them out. I think they feel safer when it tipping it down as we are less likely to be hunkered down watching for them. Also rain unlike mist would serve to dull there senses a bit which may let you away with small noises as long as you are not too close