View Poll Results: Do you prefer trophy or management hunts?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trophy

9 29.03%
  • Management

14 45.16%
  • Not bothered

8 25.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trophy vs Management hunts

Trophy vs Management hunts

What type of hunt do SD members prefer? Trophy or hunting or cull / management hunts? Do you prefer a high quality animal, or to pull the trigger more regularly and why?

Personally think you get a better hunt with a trophy hunt. Rather than a management hunt where it generally goes... "There's one, shoot it!".

I plan on taking another trophy hunting package in Africa, as I have a desire to hunt trophy Nyala, Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest and Steinbok.

I will then probably look at booking management packages and go twice as often!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfollow View Post
    Personally think you get a better hunt with a trophy hunt. Rather than a management hunt where it generally goes... "There's one, shoot it!".

I plan on taking another trophy hunting package in Africa, as I have a desire to hunt trophy Nyala, Black Wildebeest, Blue Wildebeest and Steinbok.

I will then probably look at booking management packages and go twice as often!
    Waterfollow,

Personally i agree...trophy hunts..., but why not a combination Trophy and Culling hunt?
    Patrick Reynecke (Bushwack Safaris)
    Web: http://www.bushwacksafaris.co.za
    Mobile:+27 82 773 4099
    Mail: bushwacksafaris@vodamail.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwack View Post
    Waterfollow,

Personally i agree...trophy hunts..., but why not a combination Trophy and Culling hunt?
    Guess my desire to hunt the mentioned trophy quality animals is stronger with me at the minute than hunting more species that I have less desire to hunt!

Never having been on this kind of thing maybe I should not comment, but for my in put I would have to say trophy as id want to work for my shot as opposed to the possibility of shooting the first animal I see on the list
    Kind regards
    Jimmy
    Ps..... a safari hunt is on my bucket list though....

I have always hunted on trophies when in Africa, except the Elephant which was a rogue one, and the Buff........... I just wanted a mean ugly looking one a proper "dugga boy"

To me hunting in Africa is all about waiting and hunting hard for the right animal, whether I go home with one trophy out of the seven chosen or all of them. It costs enough with the air fare so if your going you may as well do a proper safari.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

If you are going to bring the trophies home at great expense then trophy if not cull

I can only comment on my own experience but on my first African hunt I took amongst others a blesbok and a blue wildebeest. The blesbok meets Roland Ward trophy status, I could if I wanted, get my name in the RW book. The wildebeest qualifies for SCI status. But.... The reality is, he was part of a herd of animals and when waiting for a male, he was the first one to present a good broadside position, and so, I took him. I knew he was a good size as I could compare him to others, but didn't expect him to be as big as he was. In reality I don't think the PH did either. So... I'm very happy with him, he's a fine example of the species, but I know in my heart that I didn't do anything special or skilful to take this animal. I did have to work a shed load harder to take other animals. I bet there are lots of people on here who have worked uber hard to take a very ordinary animal and are proud of that achievement, despite it being a non trophy animal. On the flip side I bet some could tell genuine, great stories of their pursuit of trophy beasts.

And for that reason I'm voting not bothered. Though my next hunt will be for a combination of both.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ75 View Post
    I can only comment on my own experience but on my first African hunt I took amongst others a blesbok and a blue wildebeest. The blesbok meets Roland Ward trophy status, I could if I wanted, get my name in the RW book. The wildebeest qualifies for SCI status. But.... The reality is, he was part of a herd of animals and when waiting for a male, he was the first one to present a good broadside position, and so, I took him. I knew he was a good size as I could compare him to others, but didn't expect him to be as big as he was. In reality I don't think the PH did either. So... I'm very happy with him, he's a fine example of the species, but I know in my heart that I didn't do anything special or skilful to take this animal. I did have to work a shed load harder to take other animals. I bet there are lots of people on here who have worked uber hard to take a very ordinary animal and are proud of that achievement, despite it being a non trophy animal. On the flip side I bet some could tell genuine, great stories of their pursuit of trophy beasts.

And for that reason I'm voting not bothered. Though my next hunt will be for a combination of both.

what did it measure

The blesbok was 17.5". It came from Guy Swarts place in RSA. I believe forum member Deerwarden also had a 'trophy' animal off there on a 'cull' hunt, as has another chap I know.