Thread: Bolt face changes

Bolt face changes

I currently have a BAT HR repeater action (long action) with a .308 bolt face, and am considering a calibre change to a 300 win mag which obviously involves a change in bolt head. Is it possible to order a bolt/bolt head from BAT, and simply switch it over, hence using the same action body?
    Or do I have no other option than ordering another complete action with a magnum bolt face?

Many thanks,

​HL.

For reasons best not mentioned a friend had to obtain a replacement bolt from BAT a few years ago so I assume they can/will still supply extra bolts.

Recently a dealer told me that he was quoted a price around 800 for a replacement bolt for a Kelbly Panda action. A noticeable part of the cost was the export licence that was required at the US end.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I currently have a BAT HR repeater action (long action) with a .308 bolt face, and am considering a calibre change to a 300 win mag which obviously involves a change in bolt head. Is it possible to order a bolt/bolt head from BAT, and simply switch it over, hence using the same action body?
    Or do I have no other option than ordering another complete action with a magnum bolt face?

Many thanks,

​HL.

how hard would it be to get a decent machinist to make one?
    800 is a lot of wedge for a little bit of metal?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    how hard would it be to get a decent machinist to make one?
    800 is a lot of wedge for a little bit of metal?

Well about 240 of that was for a little bit of paper (the export licence).

However whichever way the money is apportioned it is a lot in total though & a good way towards a new action.

Obviously a good machinist anywhere can in theory make a bolt especially when there’s one to copy but there’s the issue of performing the correct heat treatment & so on plus the legal side of things as the machinist would need to be in possession of the action for part of the time (unless it’s owner sat with him). At commercial rates as a 'one-off' it would be a non-starter but even as a ‘favour’ the end result would likely be the owner wishing he’d have put the money to a new rifle.

Thanks for the replies, have just heard from Bruce, at BAT, and yes they can machine a bolt replacement with a magnum head. Will just have to find out the cost and time factors!

​HL

Quote Originally Posted by webley701 View Post
    Recently a dealer told me that he was quoted a price around 800 for a replacement bolt for a Kelbly Panda action.
    I was in the same situation as you HighLander, and was told a replacement mag bolt face bolt from Borden/Nesika was exactly the pre stated 800, must be the industry standard. A lot of money when the whole action is only afew more.........

Contact Callum, he will be able to obtain a replacement bolt for you.

As the actions are circa 1400 - 1600 new, one would expect a bolt to be half the price, so 800 may well be correct.

Better to buy a new bolt than have the old one modified and get it wrong,,,,

BATS are as about near perfect an action as you can get (behind Borden of course)

bolt face can be opened up to suit the 300wm easy but you might need to alter the feed ramps on the action to feed the round done lots of conversions like this i.e .308 to 300wsm etc on our actions and others