Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling untagged venison

Selling untagged venison

We all know that any deer carcase or for that matter Wild Boar carcase if presented to a game dealer or butchery should have a legal tag on it with your hunters number on it which you are given on attaining your Level 1.

This is to show accountability and traceability through the system of venison from stalker to the plate of the consumer. But it appears that many gamedealers are still accepting untagged carcases. Where does this leave the whole system of accountability. Furthermore we still have some stalkers selling venison without a hunters number, especially those that poach deer.

What do members feel about this situation and should the system be strengthened in some way to prevent the sale of untagged carcases entering the food chain.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

I have heard from one of the committee members that the NGO Deer branch are currently looking at this problem with the game dealers association and FSA - My local game dealer will not take anything that is not tagged and he also wants a copy of your meat hygiene certificate with photo ID that he keeps on his records so they can prove who you are. However that doesnt stop the Freds in the shed selling illegal cheap meat through local outlets (which is perfectly legal and they dont need a certificate).

The other problem with paper tags is that they need to be removed once the skin comes off so the traceability ends there.

Could you please redefine "food chain" do you mean comerical or other wise?

i have no issue not tagging deer that i give to friend and family. but these deer by DEFRAs rules don't enter the "food chain".

but when selling deer all should be tag mainly to cover my back if someone claims that my deer caused them to be unwell and to save any legal action.

Very unlike you Malc to posse such a loaded question.

Andy7mm

are they head and feet carcases you are referring to?

to be honest I have seen some of the "tagged" carcases and I wouldn't be happy eating them either!!

You say the Freds in the shed selling illegal meat (which is perfectly legal and don't need a certificate) ...........they do they have to have Level 1 with to offer or sell to a gamedealer or any other outlet. They can of course consume it themselves or give it away to their friends or relatives I believe. However it is illegal to sell it into the foodchain without a tag and your hunters number.
    Correct me if I am wrong but once you have attained Level 1 this allows you to sell up to 300 carcases per year to a gamedealer or butchery.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy7mm View Post
    Could you please redefine "food chain" do you mean comerical or other wise?

i have no issue not tagging deer that i give to friend and family. but these deer by DEFRAs rules don't enter the "food chain".

but when selling deer all should be tag mainly to cover my back if someone claims that my deer caused them to be unwell and to save any legal action.

Very unlike you Malc to posse such a loaded question.

Andy7mm

It is unlike me, I try to remain impartial

I mean into the commercial chain, not friends and relatives. Gamedealers, Butcherys and or restaurants. It appears to me the of late it seems to be getting worse, with people selling venison who have not got their meat handling and hygiene. I have even heard of people asking opinions of selling RTA to gamedealers

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

If this was stopped surely it would slow down the poaching to a larger extent as there would be no outlet to get rid of carcasses for profit. It won't stop it all but i am sure it could make a huge difference, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    However it is illegal to sell it into the foodchain without a tag and your hunters number.

not suggesting that is what you are talking about
    but it is relevant here
    and there will ALWAYS be an outlet for poached venison because people will always buy cheap meat round the back of a pub from a mate of a mate who knows a farm where the farmer has a deer problem and they shoot them with a .22hornet under the lamp so no-one knows.......

After 1 January 2006, ALL game supplied to ANY game dealer (as opposed to a retail butcher or the final consumer) must have been inspected by a "trained hunter". A numbered declaration must be attached to each deer carcass to this effect.

One exemption does exist which allows deer carcasses only still to be sold to a GHE by unqualified hunters, but each carcass will have to be accompanied by its head (less trophy), red offal i.e. "the pluck", and perhaps feet too, for the resident vet's inspection. It is likely that venison dealers will offer a lower price for such carcasses to cover their additional rubbish disposal costs.

http://www.reading.ac.uk/foodlaw/pdf/uk-05048-wild-game-guidance.pdf

I think as the dealer is so heavily regulated that they should be able to take them without a tag. This may mean that the pluck needs to be included but that seems reasonable to me.

No such thing as hunter number is required, just a method of identifying the hunter i.e. name and address, the tag holds a serial number which can be traced in theory back to the hunter. I use tags from the BDS and leave the hunter number vacant.